Exercise Science and Sport Studies

Frequently Asked Questions

What majors generally fit well with the minor in Exercise Science and Sports Studies?
  • Those interested successful career in coaching usually major in elementary or secondary education, management, communication, psychology and liberal studies.
  • Students interested in health or fitness fields often select a major in natural science, biology, nutrition, psychology, management or communications.
Who should I ask to be my secondary advisor if I am interested in completing the minor degree in Exercise Science and Sports Studies?

Students are typically assigned an advisor based on their academic or career goals.

  • Janna LaFountaine advises students interested in coaching.
  • Mary Stenson advises students interested in exercise physiology, personal training, and strength and conditioning.
  • Don Fischer advises students interested in physical therapy, medicine, and other allied health fields.
Who should I contact if I have any questions about the Exercise Science and Sports Studies minor?

See any member of the Exercise Science and Sports Studies faculty. The department chair, Don Fischer, is especially helpful concerning administrative issues in the minor.

When and how do I formally declare my minor as Exercise Science and Sports Studies?

You may declare minor at any time in your four years at CSB/SJU. Forms for declaration of a minor are available from the registrar here.

I am interested in medical school. What classes do need to take? Where can I find more information?

Medical schools will accept students for any major if they have completed the prerequisite courses and do well on the MCAT exam. Contact the pre-med advisors, Dr. Manuel Campos (biology) or Dr. David Mitchell (biology).

I am interested in physical therapy school. What Classes do I need to take? Where can I get more information?

Physical Therapy schools will accept students from any major if they have completed the prerequisite courses and do well on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). See the Pre-physical Therapy Program website or contact the pre-physical therapy advisor, Don Fischer (Exercise Science and Sports Studies).

Who do I contact for information about the other pre-professional programs such as occupational therapy, pharmacy, dentistry, physicians assistant?
  • pre-occupational therapy – advisor Dr. Manual Campos (biology)
  • pre-pharmacy – advisor Dr. Ed McIntee (chemistry)
  • pre-dentistry – advisor Dr. David Mitchell (biology)
  • pre-physicians assistant – advisors Dr. Manual Campos and David Mitchell (biology)
Is the Exercise Science and Sport Studies department faculty involved in research?

The Exercise Science and Sport Studies department faculty are involved in a variety of research projects. Visit the faculty profiles to learn about the faculty’s research interests.

What should I do if I'm not doing well in my classes?

Above all, talk to your instructor at the first sign of trouble. Do not wait until it is too late. Ask for study tips, exam tips, etc. Studying in groups is often helpful. The CSB/SJU Advising Offices and Counseling Services can also help. Your lab T.A. may also be available to help you.

What is the Allied Health Club? Can anyone join?

The Allied Health Club is a student organization that provides a fun atmosphere to explore the career paths of allied health professions, including physical therapy, athletic training, occupational therapy, and more by exploring and discussing issues and topics associated with each career field. The club also assists in developing relationships with professional organizations, graduate programs in all allied health field, and local health care facilities in order to promote service and learning opportunities for club members. If you are interested in becoming a member, contact the Allied Health Club: [email protected]

I am an Elementary or Secondary Education major, what do I need to coach?

Complete ESSS 203 (2 credits) Coaching Methods, ESSS 230 (2 credits) Sports Injury Management l, ESSS 231 (2 credits) Sport Injury Management ll, current CPR/First Aid certification, Concussion training, and you will be eligible to coach in Minnesota. We also suggest you take as many of the other coaching courses as possible: ESSS 205 (2 credits) Sport Administration, ESSS 202 (2 credits) Sport Psychology and ESSS 204 (2 credits) Sport Nutrition, as well as complete ESSS 397 (1-4 credits) coaching practicum/internship.

Interesting in receiving a coaching certificate? Both of these organizations offer on-line coaching certification:
Contact the Exercise Science and Sport Studies Department
College of Saint Benedict
Saint John’s University

Don Fischer
Chair, Exercise Science & Sport Studies