An environmental science degree can prepare students for a wide range of careers in industry, government, consulting, and education. Many labor market experts predict that environmental industries will be a major source of new jobs in the next decade. Some technical specialties will require further graduate training either for career entry or advancement. Some students choose to combine their undergraduate degree with an MBA or law degree. Since environmental issues will impact most sectors of the job market, an educational background in this field will be attractive to a wide range of employers.
- Biology - introduces students to the breadth of biological studies while enabling them to focus on areas of particular interest for further study.
- Psychology - courses can complement an overall liberal arts education.
- Physics - curriculum covers the basics of classical and modern physics, examining human understanding of nature from elementary particles to the cosmos.
- Mathematics - committed to giving its students a solid and broad-based mathematical foundation that helps prepare them for a variety of careers as well as graduate study in mathematics.
Types of Employers
Non-Profit and Private
- Chemical manufacturers
- Environmental advocacy groups
- Environmental consulting firms
- Scientific journals
- Insurance companies
- Waste management companies
- Testing laboratories
- Environmental resesarch organizations
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Bureau of Land Management
- Bureau of Reclamation
- U.S. Forest Service
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Peace Corps
- Soil Conservation Service
- Environmental Protection Agency
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- U.S. Geological Survey
- State natural resource departments
- Executive Director, Fundación Cordillera Tropical, Equador - (Molly Roske)
- GIS Specialist - GeoCOMM - (Sophia Walsh)
- Environmental Technician - Institute for Environmental Assessment
- Arborist - Rainbow Treecare
- Project Coordinator/Engineer - S.J. Louis Construction
- Environmental Technician/Consultant - Braun Intertec
- Staff Scientist - ATC Associates Inc. - (Jason Hoffman)
- Land Management Assistant - Minnesota Native Landscapes
- Fish Biologist, Habitat Restoration Program, US Fish and Wildlife Service (Katy Pfannenstein)
- Wildland Firefighter - United States Forest Service
- Natural Resources Aid - Iowa Department of Natural Resources