Emergency Eyewash and Showers: What's Required?
- Eyewash/shower requirements
- Eyewash requirements
- Shower requirements
Eyewash/shower requirements- ANSI Z358.1-2004
Requirements that apply to both eyewash units and shower units
- Sole purpose must be as an eyewash or emergency shower unit.
- If shower is needed, a separate eyewash is required (combination unit is acceptable).
- Quick opening valve which remains open (simple to operate in ≤ 1 second).
- Operational with both hands free.
- Water temperature must be tepid or lukewarm (between 15° and 38°C or 60° and 100°F).
- Travel time ≤ 10 seconds. ANSI recommends that eyewashes be located immediately adjacent to the hazard for pH ≤ 1 or ≥ 12. Unit shall be on the same level as the hazardous substance.
- Location well lit, highly visible, marked with highly visible sign.
- Unobstructed passages and access to units.
- Operable at all times with provisions to prevent unauthorized shutoff.
- Sewer connection or drain not required unless special hazards noted.
- Units shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
Requirements for eyewashes only
- Installed so that nozzles are 83.8-114.3 cm (33-45 inches) from floor.
- Pressure reduced divergent flow of flushing fluid.
- Minimum of 1.5 liters a minute (0.4 gallons a minute) of a potable water or commercial flush for 15 minutes.
- Weekly checks to flush lines and verify proper operation; plumbed units to be flushed for three minutes.
- Where contamination can occur, nozzles must be protected from contaminants by covers; removal of covers shall not require extra sleep beyond activation of unit.
- Self-contained and portable units must provide 1.5 liters a minute (0.4 gallons a minute) for 15 minutes (equals six-gallon capacity).
- Portable units to be used only where fixed installation is not feasible.
- Squeeze bottles used only in conjunction with eyewashes.
- Drench hoses used only in conjunction with eyewashes unless at open surface tanks.
- Faucet mounted eyewashes not acceptable unless all requirements for plumbed units are met.
Requirements for showers only
- Overhead mounted with head height 208.3-243.8 cm (82-96 inches) from floor or platform.
- Minimum of 75.7 liters a minute (20 gallons a minute) flow of flushing fluid dispersed throughout pattern.
- Weekly checks to flush lines and verify proper operation.
- Valve actuator location ≤ 173.3 cm (69 inches) above the floor or platform.
- Employees are to be provided with information on the location and proper use of eyewashes and emergency showers.
- If squeeze bottles are provided, information on proper use must be provided in conjunction with eyewashes, including holding eyelids open and rolling eyeballs to flush the entire eye for 15 minutes.