EHS Mission Statement
To uphold the Benedictine hallmark “…..to respect and revere the common things of everyday life and by extension, our natural environment.”
As Benedictine institutions of higher education, we see ourselves as responsible for good stewardship of the natural environment and seek to take a leadership role in exercising this responsibility, affirming our commitment to use educational activities to promote health, safety and environmental awareness, global thinking and collaboration on the local level.
As a service department, the Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) will strive to assist the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University operations:
- to conduct affairs in a manner that safeguards the environmental health and safety of students, faculty, staff and communities
- reduce and control the use of toxic substances and the generation of wastes, and promote strategies to reuse and recycle those wastes that cannot be avoided
- prevent the spread of disease or illness through unsanitary conditions
- conserve natural resources and support their sustainable use, purchase renewable, reusable, recyclable and recycled materials when feasible
- comply with applicable environmental health and safety laws and regulations.