In the event that a student wishes to appeal a formal decision about his/her status with the Education Department, or any of the conditions that have been stipulated for full acceptance, the student may appeal to the Hearing Committee using the following process:
- The student should meet with his/her Education Department advisor or another Education Department faculty/staff person to plan the appeal. If a face-to-face meeting is not possible, this could occur via telephone or videoconference.
- Within 30 school days of receiving formal notice of her/his status within the Education Department, a student who wishes to appeal the decision must submit a signed electronic copy of a letter to both the Department Chair and the Appeals Committee Chair, Terri Rodriguez, with a request to meet with the Hearing Committee about that decision. The letter must include a description of the decision that is being appealed and a summary of the grounds on which the student seeks to appeal the decision. The letter must also specify the name of one CSB/SJU faculty/staff member whom the student will ask to attend the hearing with her/him.
- Within five (5) school days of receiving the letter requesting an appeal, the Chair will forward an electronic copy to the Chair of the Hearing Committee for review.
- Within ten (10) school days of receiving the letter, the Chair of the Hearing Committee will determine whether there may be cause for a hearing. If cause is determined, the Chair of the Hearing Committee will request the Office Manager to schedule a Committee Meeting to be held within 20 school days and to notify the student of the date, time, and place of the meeting. If a face-to-face meeting is not possible, this could occur via telephone or videoconference.
- At the hearing, the Chair of the Hearing Committee will summarize for all present the Education Department decision that was made regarding the student. The Chair will then invite the student to discuss any extenuating circumstances on which the appeal is based. The purpose of the hearing is for the student's voice to be included in the Committee's reconsideration of a decision. For this reason, committee members and the faculty/staff representative, upon being recognized by the Chair, should limit their own comments to asking questions of the student.
- After the student has had the opportunity to address all questions, the student and faculty/staff representative will be excused from the meeting and the Committee will meet in closed session to review the decision in light of the appeal. The Chair of the Hearing Committee will notify the Department Chair of the Committee's decision. Within 24 hours, the Department Chair will notify the student of the decision and her/his status within the Education Department.
- If, after receiving notification from the Department Chair of the Hearing Committee's decision, the student believes the process or the decision not to have been fair, the student may appeal directly to the Dean/Director of Academic Advising.
The Minnesota Board of Teaching, upon the request of a postsecondary student preparing for teacher licensure or a licensed graduate of a teacher preparation program, shall assist in resolving a dispute between the person and a postsecondary institution providing a teacher preparation program when the dispute involves an institution's recommendation for licensure affecting the person or the person's credentials. At the board's discretion, assistance may include the application of chapter 14. (Minnesota Statute 122a.09.c at https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=122A.09)