Admission to Teacher Education
The Admissions Committee
After students have completed all Teacher Education Program application procedures, the Education Department Admissions Committee will review their files. The Admissions Committee may approve applicants for full acceptance or conditional acceptance; or the Committee may elect to not approve applicants for acceptance into the program. The Committee's decisions will be reported to the Department Chair, who will then notify students of their status in Teacher Education.
- The Admissions Committee will normally approve for full acceptance into Teacher Education Programs those student applicants who have met all Education Department standards.
The Education Department Chair will formally notify students who have been approved for full acceptance into a Teacher Education Program. Students fully accepted are eligible to register for upper division Education classes.
- The Admissions Committee will normally approve for conditional acceptance into Teacher Education Programs those student applicants who have met most of the Education Department standards and have offered a reasonable plan to remediate deficiencies and/or meet all standards. The Education Department Chair will formally notify students (as well as their advisor and the appropriate Office of Academic Advising) of the conditions they must meet before they will be reconsidered for full acceptance into Teacher Education.
Students making reasonable progress toward completing the conditions of their acceptance will be permitted to register for upper division courses for the following semester. Students who do not meet all the conditions of their acceptance will normally not be permitted to take any further upper division courses in Education.
- Student applicants who fail to offer an acceptable plan for meeting all Education Department standards will normally be not approved for acceptance into a Teacher Education Program by the Admissions Committee. Plans may be determined "unacceptable" that do not meet the following criteria:
- The plan must satisfactorily address all unmet Education Department standards.
- The plan must be realistic (i.e., must have a reasonable likelihood of being successfully accomplished).
- The plan must be timely in that it can be completed within an additional semester.
The Education Department Chair will formally notify students (as well as their advisor and the appropriate Office of Academic Advising) of the reasons they were not approved for acceptance. Students who have not been approved for acceptance or who have otherwise been terminated from a Teacher Education Program may not register for any further upper division Education courses.
Upon receiving official notification of their Teacher Education status, students are encouraged to meet with the Education Department Chair to resolve any questions. Students must request and receive approval of the Chair on any modifications to approved plans for fully meeting all Education Department standards. After meeting with the Chair with a request for modifications, students may also request a meeting with the Hearing Committee (see Appeal Process).
Upon meeting all Education Department standards and/or addressing all concerns, students who were not previously approved for full acceptance are to notify the Department Chair of their readiness for full acceptance into Teacher Education. Upon receiving notification, the Chair will verify that all standards and concerns have been satisfactorily addressed, and will send a formal letter of finding to the student, her/his advisor, and the appropriate Office of Academic Advising.