Students with passing scores on the Minnesota Teacher Licensure Examinations (MTLEs) can seek recommendation by CSB/SJU Education Department for a Tier 3 license with successful completion of a teacher preparation program. Degrees must be conferred and official passing scores on applicable MTLEs must be posted before recommendation.
Before you can be recommended by CSB/SJU Education Department for a Tier 3 teaching license, the following are required:
- Degree must be conferred. This means all graduation requirements must be completed and fulfilled.
- Fingerprint card must be completed and submitted to the CSB/SJU Licensing Contact (below).
- All required MTLEs for license(s) sought must be passed and officially posted. Details on testing, scores, and FAQ can be accessed here. A Score Reporting Schedule is available online.
- If any coursework was transferred to CSB/SJU towards the fulfillment of licensure requirements, official transcripts from those institutions must be submitted. These can be submitted to the CSB/SJU Licensing Contact (below).
Students and graduates requesting verification or documents for employment or licensure requirements must complete a Records Release. This document must be completed and accompanied with an original signature. The original document can either be mailed or scanned and e-mailed to the CSB/SJU Licensing Contact (below). Please note that digital signatures are not accepted on this form. A complete policy statement on the CSB/SJU implementation of the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) guidelines is accessible here.
The Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board is currently accepting paper applications. Paper applications are accessible here.
Tier 3 – CSB/SJU Education Department
The CSB/SJU Licensing Contact will complete:
- Section 2: Application Type
- Section 3: Educational Background
- Section 4: Licensure Requirements
- Section 7: Verification of Completion of a State-Approved Licensure Program
- Official, sealed transcripts
- Course substitutions (as applicable)
The CSB/SJU Licensing Contact will submit all materials to the applicant to complete sections noted below and it will be the responsibility of the applicant to confirm everything is complete before submitting to PELSB.
Tier 3 – Applicants
Applicants will complete the following:
- Section 1: Applicant Information
- Section 5A: Conduct Review Statement
- Section 5B: Supplemental Information Form (as applicable)
- Section 6: Verification of Teaching Experience (NOTE: Student teaching experience does not qualify. This is completed with employer.)
- Fingerprint Card: It is the applicant’s responsibility to obtain a fingerprint card at the student teaching end of semester event, obtain fingerprints from CSB or SJU Campus Security, and submit to the CSB/SJU Licensing Contact.
- Application Fee: It is the applicant's responsibility to include a check or money order payable to PELSB for the appropriate amount.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure all paperwork is complete and accurate before submitting to the CSB/SJU Licensing Contact. Students will be contacted if any paperwork is incomplete. Inaccurate or incomplete paperwork could cause a delay in licensing.
Once submitted, applicants can obtain an update of their license application status with the PELSB Educator License Lookup Tool. A digital copy of the teacher license, once issued, can also be accessed with this tool.
Out of State Licensure
Our programs are accredited by the Minnesota Board of Teaching, and hence licenses teachers for licensure in Minnesota. This means that successful completion of the Elementary Education Major or the Secondary Education Minor at the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University and all state-mandated requirements will lead to being recommended for a teaching license in Minnesota. More information on obtaining licenses in other states is available here.