Submit field experience hours
If you have any questions, feel free to stop by or email Mary Jo Leighton, Director of Field Experiences.
Congratulations on making the decision to apply for student teaching!
Students typically apply for student teaching early in the semester they are enrolled in EDUC 359: Issues in Education or in the semester immediately prior to the intended semester of student teaching.
There are several steps to be taken in order to be accepted into a student teaching placement, and each of these steps is important in the process. If there are questions in the process, do not hesitate to contact Dr. Jennifer Meagher, Director of Elementary and Secondary Student Teaching (HAB 125B or [email protected]).
Before an application can be initiated, the teacher candidate must fulfill the following:
- Fully accepted (without conditions) to the CSB/SJU Education Department
- GPA of at least 2.5 in major
- GPA of at least 2.5 in department
- GPA of at least 2.5 cumulatively
- Grade of C or above in all courses required for licensure
- Completed (or in progress) required courses by age level or discipline
See our Education Programs for specific coursework needed.
- A clean background check active for the semester you will be student teaching
- Purchase of liability insurance through Education Minnesota for the semester you will be student teaching.
Once the initial requirements are satisfied, there are tasks and forms to submit in order to complete the application:
- Write a one-page letter of introduction (addressed Dear Principal and Cooperating Teacher) that introduces yourself, your qualifications, and what brings you to student teaching. Include what inspires you to become a teacher. (Email with the subject: Student Teaching Application)
- Prepare a professional resume that provides an overview of your education, experience in teaching, employment, etc. Assistance in writing a resume can be found through XPD (include with letter).
- Complete three forms. All forms are to be completed through Forms Manager:
When all requirements, tasks, and forms are complete, visit the Education Department to review and sign the Contract for Student Teaching. This will be the notice that all necessary work is complete and that materials are ready to be reviewed. You may be contacted after this contract signing if you have not fulfilled requirements for student teaching.
Placements will be made by D mod and student teachers will be notified once these placements are completed. A mandatory meeting will be held in D mod (prior to finals week) to outline expectations, give an overview of requirements and edTPA, answer questions, and address related issues.