Apply to Student Teaching
Congratulations on making the decision to apply for student teaching!
Students typically apply for student teaching early in the semester they are enrolled in EDUC 359: Issues in Education or in the semester immediately prior to the intended semester of student teaching.
There are several steps to be taken in order to be accepted in to a student teaching placement, and each of these steps is important in the process. If there are questions in the process, do not hesitate to contact Dr. Jennifer Meagher, Director of Elementary and Secondary Student Teaching (HAB 125B or [email protected]).
These must be satisfied before an application can be initiated:
- GPA of at least 2.5 in major
- GPA of at least 2.5 in department
- GPA of at least 2.5 cumulatively
- Completed (or in process) required courses by age level or discipline (see "Our Programs") on the CSB/SJU Education Department website for specific coursework needed.
- An active, clean background check
Once the initial requirements are satisfied, there are tasks and forms to submit in order to complete the application.
- Write a one-page letter of introduction (to Dr. Jennifer Meagher) that introduces yourself, your qualifications, and what brings you to student teaching. Include what inspires you to become a teacher.
(email with the subject: Student Teaching Introduction Letter)
- Register to take the Content and Pedagogy MTLEs (try prior to student teaching so that this is less of a burden during student teaching).
Information on registration, test dates, and practice tests can be found at Minnesota Teacher Licensure Examinations.
- Obtain liability insurance through Education Minnesota and ensure it will be in effect during student teaching. Evidence of insurance can be sent to the Office Manager.
Forms—All forms are to be completed through Forms Manager:
- CSB/SJU Health and Liability Form
- Education Department Teacher Candidate Statement of Dispositions
- Student Teaching Placement Request (all ages and disciplines)
When all requirements, tasks, and forms are complete, visit the Education Department to review and sign the Contract for Student Teaching. This will be the notice that all necessary work is complete and that materials are ready to be reviewed.
Application Deadline for Spring 2019 Placement:
All materials are due no later than Thursday, October 4, 2018.
Placements will be made by mid-November, and student teachers will be notified once these placements are completed. A mandatory meeting will be held in December to outline expectations, give an overview of requirements and edTPA, answer questions, and address related issues.
If you have any questions, feel free to stop by or email Dr. Jennifer Meagher, Director of Elementary and Secondary Student Teaching.