Facilitates development and implementation of service components to regular academic offerings.
- Explain service learning to classes
- Bridge communication between faculty, students and service site personnel
- Monitor student placements
- Works in community to develop appropriate partnerships with community agencies that will be service recipients
- Organizes agency on-site orientation and training
- Monitors evaluation by students and/agency at conclusion of semesters
- Keeps records of numbers of hours/sites students serve.
Domestic Semester Abroad: This was an experience she had at U. of MN. Morris. It was a full semester in Rio Grande Valley. Students (she) taught days in San Juan public schools and lived in an apartment complex. There were about 6 or so students (mix of elementary and secondary students) and about 30 student teachers. M-R a.m. was spent in classrooms. Those afternoons were in course work (they took 3 courses from 1-5 in afternoon). Fridays were dedicated to learning about the community. They kept a scrapbook/portfolio of experiences. Faculty stayed some distance away in a Snow Bird Community.
Urban Plunges: Service Learning office organizes some of these. Funding for these comes from Pastoral Office- Campus Ministry. Service Learning office has stepped back from these plunges because they require intensive preparation.