Student Learning Goals
Goals of the Department
The CSB/SJU Economics Department has developed the following goals and objectives for student learning in the department:
- Goal 1: Students of economics will be able to apply economic theory to understand economic issues and policies by:
Objective 1.1: Analyzing interactions between human values and economic policy; and
Objective 1.2: Demonstrating a knowledge of and ability to apply appropriate analytical tools.
- Goal 2: Students of economics will be able to evaluate evidence bearing on those economic issues and policies by:
Objective 2.1: Identifying, locating, and assessing the appropriate quantitative and non-quantitative information and arguments; and
Objective 2.2: Employing both quantitative reasoning and computing skills where appropriate.
- Goal 3: Students of economics will be able to communicate effectively the results of their economic analysis through:
Objective 3.1: Clear writing, appropriately supported and documented; and
Objective 3.2: For majors, polished oral presentations.
Social Science Goals and Objectives
The Social Sciences apply scientific methods to the study of human beings, social forces, and institutions. Students learn a way of examining the world, practice careful analytic thinking, and develop deeper insights into their own experience.
- Demonstrate understanding of basic facts and theories of a social science discipline
- Acquire knowledge that enables them to make responsible social, civic, and personal choices
- Make critical social science arguments supported by evidence appropriate to an introductory level