The Department of Economics prepares students to understand economic activity, to engage in critical analysis of economic, business, financial, social, and policy matters as articulate and engaged citizens committed to the common good, and to become leaders in the private sector, non-profit sector, government, and academia.
In support of this mission, the Department commits itself to the following:
- We will strengthen student our students’ abilities in the following areas: critical thinking; quantitative and qualitative analysis; writing, speaking, and other communication skills; and analyzing the interaction of human values and economic life.
- We will support student learning and intellectual growth through both collaborative research opportunities and through class-based and senior research experiences.
- We will support and advise students as they seek internships, leadership experiences, and experiential opportunities as they prepare for their futures.
- We will challenge students to consider the intersection of economic thought and our community values of service, sustainability, and justice.
The CSB/SJU Economics Department has developed the following goals and objectives for student learning in the department:
Students of economics will be able to apply economic theory to understand economic issues and policies by:
- Analyzing interactions between human values and economic policy; and
- Demonstrating a knowledge of and ability to apply appropriate analytical tools.
Students of economics will be able to evaluate evidence bearing on those economic issues and policies by:
- Identifying, locating, and assessing the appropriate quantitative and non-quantitative information and arguments; and
- Employing both quantitative reasoning and computing skills where appropriate.
Students of economics will be able to communicate effectively both the theory and evidence employed in their economic analysis through:
- Clear writing, appropriately supported and documented; and
- For majors, polished oral presentations.
Common Curriculum: Social Science Goals and Objectives
The Social Sciences apply scientific methods to the study of human beings, social forces, and institutions. Students learn a way of examining the world, practice careful analytic thinking, and develop deeper insights into their own experience.
- Demonstrate understanding of basic facts and theories of a social science discipline.
- Acquire knowledge that enables them to make responsible social, civic, and personal choices.
- Make critical social science arguments supported by evidence appropriate to an introductory level.