Intramural Walleyball Rules
Roster specifications and additions
- A team consists of 4 players. There MUST be an even ratio of women and men or more female vs. male players. During regular league games, if BOTH teams agree to the number of players on each team (3 vs. 3) or if more men than women (2 vs 1), the game shall be played as agreed. However, during playoffs-there MUST be a minimum of 2 men/2 women to play. Failure to comply to these rules shall result in a forfeit.
- All team members must have their name on the team roster by the last scheduled regular season game in order to be eligible to play during playoffs. No additions can be made after this point. It is the team captain’s responsibility to make sure that team waivers are updated prior to playoffs.
Checking in your team
All teams (at least 1 person from the team) MUST SIGN IN AT THE CAMPUS RECREATION DESK by their scheduled game time. Failure to do so will result in a forfeit. Each team must be on the court AND ready to play by ten minutes after their scheduled game time-ALL GAMES WILL START NO LATER THAN 10 MINUTES AFTER THEIR SCHEDULED TIME. Failure of a team not being on the court and ready to play will result in a forfeit. It is not the responsibility of the official/court supervisors to find teams to get their games going. It is the responsibility of the captain to make sure their team is on the court and ready to play.
- The match is played best 2 out of 3 and/or completed within the scheduled hour (see rule 2). Each game consists of 15 points. A team MUST win by two points or whoever reaches 17 points first. The first team to win 2 games wins the match.
- All regular season games must also be done within the hour. Therefore, the team ahead at the end of the hour gets the win. If games start 10 min. after their scheduled game time, they only have until the next scheduled game time to play, not a full hour (ex. Game is at 7pm, starts at 7:10pm, only get to play until 8pm).
- For all playoff games, there will be no time restriction. Games must still start by 10 min. after their scheduled game time, but will be allowed to play all 3 games if needed.
- A volley shall determine first service. Service volley must go over the net 3 times to count.
- Only the team serving can score points.
- The server must serve from the back right hand corner.
- The ball may not touch the net, ceiling, back wall or any two walls on the serve. However, you can use a sidewall on your serve. Serves can be overhand unless both teams agree to use underhand serves.
- All players must serve in a regular rotating order. Teams shall rotate clockwise when gaining the serve.
Other general rules
- No catching, lifting or throwing of the ball over the net.
- No touching the net.
- No roofing (blocker’s hands extending over the net and breaking the plane of the net-interfering with setter).
- Substitutions may be made when the ball is not in play.
- The ball is dead when it hits the floor or the ceiling.
- The opponents back wall is out of bounds to your team
- You may use two walls on your own side of the court to keep the ball in play. The ball may hit opponents wall once.
- If ball goes through sides of the net it is a replay, except on the third hit.
- Winning team must report scores to the Campus Recreation desk.
- The teams that are scheduled to play the last match are responsible for taking down the net, putting all equipment back into the container and returning it to the desk.
IF THERE IS ANY SUSPICION OF DRINKING ALCOHOL PRIOR TO PLAYING, THE INDIVIDUAL AND/OR TEAM MAY BE ELIMINATED FROM THE LEAGUE.
**A team can only have three forfeits. A team will be ineligible for playoffs with forfeiture of a 4th game.