"This trip was truly eye opening. Getting to help a community and get to know the people really give a new perspective to service. It allows you to learn about culture and lives of the people." - Dominican Republic Participant 2018
ABE Participant Role:
- Commit to the team and trip preparation
- Commit to the 5 Pillars of ABE and how they apply to the trip and to life once back at home.
- Attend pre-trip meetings, a potential pre-trip service project, and the post-trip ABE Slideshow.
- Initiate and participate in fundraising activities to defray the costs of the trip
- Learn as much as possible about the issues and the culture you will be experiencing on the trip
- Represent the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University well by adhering to all CSB/SJU policies, especially the prohibition on any alcohol or drug use
- Engage freely and enthusiastically in all direct service experiences
- Be willing to engage in group activities, such as daily reflection and work toward conflict resolution and tolerance of co-participants
- Recognize any assumptions/expectations you have for the trip and work to reduce and eliminate them in order to be open to every experience while on your ABE.
- Patience. You may not get all information as quickly as you like but you will receive all necessary information before departure. More information in Frequently Asked Questions.
Wish to apply?
Fill out the Participant Application online!
All Winter Participant Applications are due November 1st by 3:00PM.
$100 deposit due with acceptance of a Participant position, due Novemeber 9th by 12:00pm (noon).
Contact ABE if you have any questions at [email protected]