All students, faculty, staff and visitors are required to wear a cloth or disposable mask that covers both the nose and mouth when they are on the CSB and SJU campuses. Masks are not required when alone in a private room (office, residence hall room) or in a private vehicle. Face shields are an appropriate substitute for individuals who cannot wear masks due to medical or other conditions.
Filtered valve masks are not permitted on the CSB and SJU campuses. Due to the exhalation valve, this type of mask can propel germs, including COVID-19 viral particles, and therefore does not protect the community. Neck gaiters and bandanas are also not permitted. Recent research has indicated that these types of face coverings are less effective in mitigating the spread of COVID-19 than cloth or disposable masks.
A mask is required when:
- entering/exiting and moving around campus buildings
- outside when 6 ft. of social distancing cannot be consistently maintained or guaranteed
- sitting outside for class or a meeting
- outside when walking with another person
- in classrooms and labs
- in dining areas (when not engaged in eating)
- in public and communal spaces
- standing in line for and riding the LINK bus
- in any social interaction where social distancing of at least 6 ft. cannot be consistently maintained
When walking outside alone on campus, a mask is not required but should be readily available in the event of an unplanned interaction.
Two reusable cloth masks were provided to each member of the CSB/SJU community. Additional masks are available for purchase at the bookstores.
A growing body of research is indicating that COVID-19 is often spread via asymptomatic carriers. With this knowledge and the evidence that masks are effective in limiting the spread of COVID-19, each member of the CSB/SJU community, and visitors to campus, are required to abide by this protocol.