Laboratory Safety Protocols
We are following the guidelines of the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Please know that the policies below may change as we address any uncertainties and changes associated with COVID-19.
- Faculty and students must wear a mask when in common areas of academic buildings. This includes when in the laboratory/studio space, when entering and exiting the building, while moving through the hallways and while in restrooms. If individuals are unable to use a mask, they may use a face shield as an appropriate substitute.
- Everyone must practice social distancing when entering and leaving the classroom.
- Please use hand sanitizer upon entering and leaving the lab or studio. Individuals are expected to provide their own hand sanitizer, but some will be provided in a central location in each academic building.
- If possible, students, faculty and teaching assistants should disinfect their space upon entry and leaving. If not possible, an alternative plan must be in place and understood amongst the custodial staff, faculty and students.
- Faculty and students must practice 6-foot social distancing. There is a diagram hanging in each lab/studio space that demonstrates the appropriate furniture organization.
- Please use assigned seats in laboratory spaces. This can help with contact tracing should the need arise.
- Common equipment is often used in the laboratory spaces. A plan must be in place to disinfect this equipment upon entry and leaving the laboratory space. Students and faculty should use hand sanitizer after each use of common equipment. If possible, gloves should be worn.
- Students can face each other as long as they are 6 feet apart and wearing a mask. Individuals can be less than 6 feet apart for no more than 15 minutes at a time.
- Departments should supply faculty with individual chalk, markers and erasers for use in class. Markers, chalk and erasers should not be left in teaching spaces. If pedagogy requires students to write on the board, please ask students to bring their own markers/chalk/erasers.
- Laboratory/studio space doorknobs will be disinfected once/day by custodial staff.