Classroom Safety Protocols
We are following the guidelines of the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Please know that the policies below may change as we address any uncertainties and changes associated with COVID-19.
- Faculty and students must wear a mask at all times when in common areas of academic buildings. This includes when in the classroom, when entering and exiting the building, while moving through the hallways and while in restrooms. If individuals are unable to use a mask, they may use a face shield as an appropriate substitute. When alone in offices, faculty are allowed to remove their mask.
- Masks must remain on during a class period. If individuals are unable to use a mask, they may use a face shield as an appropriate substitute. Faculty must enforce this protocol and will ask individuals to leave the classroom if they fail to do so.
- During class, faculty and students can lower their mask to take a drink, but then are expected to put the mask in place again until the next sip is taken. Slipping a straw under the mask is also permitted. Food cannot be eaten during class, as the mask would have to be lowered for a much longer time. Faculty and students should eat their food outside during a break in the class.
- Everyone must practice social distancing when entering and leaving the classroom.
- Please use hand sanitizer when entering and upon exiting the classroom. Faculty and students should provide their own hand sanitizer, but it will also be available in a central location in academic buildings.
- All classrooms have been outfitted with furniture to house an appropriate number of students to allow for 6-foot social distancing. There is a diagram hanging in each classroom that demonstrates the appropriate furniture organization. If you must move the furniture, please maintain appropriate social distancing and return the furniture to its original configuration at the end of class.
- The recommendation for classroom furniture is to have it all facing one direction. This is the standard for each classroom. However, students can face each other as long as they are 6 feet apart (they can measure this distance by holding their arms out straight on either side and should not touch another individual holding their arms out straight). Individuals can be less than 6 feet apart for no more than 15 minutes.
- Departments should supply faculty with individual chalk, markers and erasers for use in class. Markers, chalk and erasers should not be left in class. If pedagogy requires students to write on the board, please ask students to bring their own markers/chalk/erasers.
- Please use assigned seats in class. This will help with contact tracing should the need arise.
- Classrooms will be disinfected in the morning and between the morning and afternoon/evening class by the custodial staff.