Academic Offices and Programs Safety Protocols
We are following the guidelines of the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Please know that the policies below may change as we address any uncertainties and changes associated with COVID-19.
- Staff and students must wear a mask at all times when in common areas of academic buildings. This includes when in the classroom, meeting room, when entering and exiting the building, while moving through the hallways and while in restrooms. If individuals are unable to use a mask, they may use a face shield as an appropriate substitute.
- Everyone must practice social distancing. This includes when entering and leaving study and common spaces. Please use hand sanitizer upon entering and leaving these areas.
- All study, common and meeting spaces have been outfitted with furniture to house an appropriate number of students to allow for 6-foot social distancing in that space. There is a diagram hanging in each area that demonstrates the appropriate organization. If you must move the furniture, please maintain appropriate social distancing and return the furniture to its original configuration after usage.
- Student employees must wear masks when working unless working in a private, secluded space. We highly recommend a clear mask when these individuals have positions that are front-facing and must interact with others.
- All individual and group meetings with students, staff and faculty will be virtual until social distancing policies are lessened.
- There are important considerations when returning to work on campus. If unable to return to campus, please complete an accommodation request. Please work with your supervisor to determine how your work can be conducted remotely. In addition, it may be appropriate to create a schedule where those who are able to return to work stagger their schedules so they continue to work some days from home and some days in the office. This would maintain a presence in the office (and provide an opportunity to address any “stop-ins” that may occur), reduce traffic in buildings, support social distancing protocols and may further prevent COVID-19 transmission within the office.
- Plan events to be virtual this fall.
- While meetings will be held virtually, there may be times when staff will be in direct contact with a student, staff or faculty member in a common space. If so, individuals must remain 6 feet apart and wear a mask. Individuals can be less than 6 feet apart for no more than 15 minutes.
- Staff are responsible for disinfecting their office space regularly. Doorknobs will be disinfected once/day by custodial staff. Please work with your staff on whether meeting rooms should be used (and locked) to minimize cleaning.
We ask all offices and programs to establish a set of standards that support these safety expectations and make them clear to all staff and students.