Residential Hall Operations
Residence halls will operate at standard occupancy with significantly enhanced cleaning protocols. Adjustments to residence halls and their operations include:
Common Area Use and Cleaning
- Although students and residential life staff do not need to wear masks or practice social distancing when they are in their assigned rooms, they must do so in all other areas, including hallways, entrances, exits and common spaces.
- Common areas, including lounges, computer labs, laundry rooms, kitchens and hallways, will be limited in availability and occupancy. Room capacities will be adjusted for social distancing and occupancy limits will be posted for the space.
- Common area furniture will be removed or reconfigured to promote greater social distancing.
- Elevators may be used but are subject to lower occupancy loads.
- Loitering or congregating in hallways, entryways and common spaces is not permitted.
- Drinking fountains are closed. Hydration stations with a hands-free bottle filler will be available for use.
- Hand sanitizer stations are present in all common areas.
- Common spaces and frequently touched surfaces are cleaned and disinfected at least twice per day.
- Cleaning and disinfecting supplies are available in common spaces such as laundry rooms, kitchens and lounges and must be returned each time after use.
- Students with campus apartments, suites or dorms with private bathrooms are responsible for cleaning their personal bathroom.
Residence Hall Rooms and Campus Apartments
- Room configurations are the responsibility of residents, including adherence to social distancing guidelines wherever possible (sleeping with heads at different ends of beds, etc.).
- If bedrooms are configured such that two beds cannot be separated by 6 feet of distance, residents may request a plastic flexible screen from residential life staff.
- Residents are expected to maintain a clean/hygienic living environment in their assigned space.
- Cleaning and disinfecting supplies are available to residents.
- Residence hall residents are assigned to a specific restroom for primary use in the hall.
- Residents are encouraged to utilize sinks within their own rooms for toothbrushing, face washing, etc. and only use common restroom sinks as handwashing stations.
- Facilities are equipped with barriers to allow for simultaneous use.
- Common restrooms are cleaned at least twice per day.
- Cleaning and disinfecting supplies are available in common restrooms.
- Cleaning and disinfecting supplies are available in designated areas for private/semiprivate restrooms.
- Guests are expected to use designated guest restrooms and are prohibited from using floor restrooms.
Room Occupancy and Capacity
- Traditional occupancy levels for rooms, suites and apartments are maintained. Most students will have a roommate or live in a shared apartment or suite with other residents.
- Roommates assigned to live together in a room, suite or apartment are considered a family unit.
- If a student becomes ill, the entire family unit would be required to quarantine/isolate until the quarantine/isolation period expires.
- All roommates/living groups will be required to complete an online roommate agreement, which will include COVID-19 awareness and social hosting expectations as well as traditional agreement topics.
- Both CSB and SJU Residential Life have a plan should reduced occupancy be necessary.