Dear CSB/SJU Students, Faculty, Staff and Parents:
This message is to update you about CSB/SJU’s temporary masking policy. We understand that we have asked a lot of our campus community during the first month of the academic year. We appreciate your flexibility and willingness to be adaptable for the good of the entire community.
The Pandemic Planning Committee has examined the current campus vaccination rate and we are pleased to inform you that we have reached a vaccination level of almost 90% and our positive case count remains low on the campuses. Thank you for your hard work and support.
Beginning Saturday, Oct. 2: Masks are strongly encouraged, but not required, for all individuals in most areas on campus.
Masks are still required:
- In classrooms.
- On buses, public transportation, and in counseling and health services facilities due to federal regulation.
- In our large performance venues (CSB Escher Auditorium, CSB Colman Theater, CSB Gorecki Family Theater, and SJU Humphrey Theater.)
- For unvaccinated visitors to campus in indoor locations.
Please visit the CSB and SJU athletic websites for the most current masking requirements at indoor athletic venues.
The Minnesota Department of Health advises a phased approach when removing masking requirements. We are not seeing transmission right now but want to ensure that there is not transmission in the classroom. Provided that our COVID-19 positive numbers remain low, we will no longer require masking in classrooms as of Oct. 16. After that time, faculty will have the ability to require masks in their individual classrooms if they choose.
Our Benedictine values stand as reminders to respect all persons and care for our community. As such, it’s important to remember that:
- Mask wearing is fully supported and encouraged for any individuals who choose, and especially for those who have any upper respiratory symptoms.
- There is a higher rate of transmission in Stearns County than on our campuses. We encourage our students and employees to mask indoors when off-campus in order to help protect our entire CSB/SJU community.
- Masking may be reinstated if cases increase.
Please visit our COVID-19 website for a dashboard, list of FAQ’s and contact information for staff who can assist you.
Chair, CSB/SJU Pandemic Planning Committee