August 20: Fall 2020 Return to Campus Update #3
Compliance with CSB/SJU COVID-19 Guidelines
During the COVID-19 pandemic, students found in violation of jeopardizing community health, on or off-campus, will be immediately subject to disciplinary action, including removal from campus and the in-person class experience. Students whose classes are not in person but whose behavior still poses a risk to themselves and the community may be suspended from CSB/SJU for the remainder of the semester.
Students are always expected to comply with CSB/SJU COVID-19 guidelines and the commitment made in the Personal Responsibility Statement – Commitment to Community (more information below). When necessary, students will be reminded to wear their mask (properly), maintain social distance and practice good hand hygiene. This applies to all students on and off campus.
If a student fails to comply after a warning, if their behavior is belligerent or their infraction egregious to the point it could put others at risk, that student will be asked to move off campus immediately. Students will complete the academic year virtually and will not be permitted on-campus. We hope it does not come to this, but we want students to understand that due to the serious nature of COVID-19, irresponsible or reckless behavior, on or off campus, that endangers the health of others will not be tolerated.
Please review the Student Compliance page for more information on disciplinary stages and how policies will be enforced.
Personal Responsibility for Community Health
If you have not done so already, before returning to campus, all students are required to submit the Personal Responsibility Statement – Commitment to Community form in the form’s portal. This statement acknowledges understanding and acceptance of the following:
- Follow physical/social distancing guidelines, maintaining a minimum of 6 feet between myself and others with whom I do not live, both on and off campus.
- Wear a mask at all times when I am outside of my place of residence, both on and off campus.
- Avoid activities that put myself or others at greater risk of contracting and transmitting COVID-19.
- Abide by all seating, sanitation, hygiene, disinfection and occupancy limits in all public and personal spaces.
- Abide by all expectations and restrictions on the LINK Bus.
- Complete my daily health screening honestly and accurately.
- Not attend in-person classes when I am not feeling well and communicate this situation to my professors in a timely fashion.
- Report to my resident/community assistant, residence director, area coordinator, faculty resident, and/or a campus health professional, that I am not feeling well or experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19 and abide by the directives provided by those officials for caring for my health and the health and welfare of others.
Students are expected to adhere to masking and social distancing when they are off-campus as well. If CSB/SJU students are found to have hosted or participated in events that disregard these guidelines, all on-campus privileges will be revoked, and they will not be allowed to return to campus for any reason. All course work for the remainder of the academic year will be completed virtually.
CSB/SJU have met with the city to urge partnership and cooperation in enforcement and timely sharing of information so the institutions can respond quickly.
College of Saint Benedict
Vice President Student Development
Michael P. Connolly
Saint John’s University
Interim Vice President & Dean of Students