April 8: Fall 2020 Study Abroad Announcement
Dear Faculty and Staff,
CSB and SJU are proud of their long-standing tradition in global education. For more than 50 years, our institutions have endeavored to connect students to global learning opportunities. At the heart of this endeavor is a continued commitment to the health and safety of our students and faculty abroad. Over the last month, the world has witnessed unprecedented volatility due to the COVID-19 pandemic that has resulted in:
- The U.S. Department of State issuing a Global Level 4 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens against all non-essential travel.
- A growing list of countries around the globe imposing travel restrictions that bar entry to non-residents.
- Numerous embassies and consulates temporarily halting issuance of student travel visas.
- A substantial reduction in global commercial airline routes.
As a result of these growing global travel restrictions, we have made the very difficult decision to suspend all Fall 2020 study abroad programs. This decision was made after careful evaluation of advisories from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. State Department, Overseas Security Advisory Council, World Health Organization, and local public health authorities. Most importantly, this decision was made in the best interest of the health and safety of our students and faculty.
We know this decision will undoubtedly come as a disappointment to our students who were planning to study abroad this Fall. Please know that in addition to health and safety, we proactively made this decision so that students can fully participate in registration for Fall 2020 on-campus classes as well the CSB and SJU Residential Life and Housing room selection process.
We continue to hope that study abroad can be an option for the students who were scheduled on Fall 2020 study abroad programs. The Center for Global Education (CGE) team is working diligently to provide students with options to move their study abroad experience to another semester:
- Students who were scheduled to be on a Fall 2020 study abroad program can elect to automatically transfer their spot to a place on the Fall 2021 program.
- For some Fall 2020 study abroad programs, CGE is working to identify the possibility of moving the Fall 2020 program to Spring 2021. Please note, this option will not be available for all programs given Spring capacity issues at some of our international program sites.
- If a student elects not to move their Fall 2020 study abroad program to another semester, they will be refunded the full application fee.
Students scheduled for Fall 2020 study abroad programs have until June 1, 2020 to choose an application refund or to apply their application money to a future study abroad program.
Thank you for supporting these students as they now prepare for a Fall 2020 semester on campus. Should you have follow-up questions as you work with these students, please feel free to reach out to the CGE team at [email protected]