Connections XPO Overview
Wednesday, November 6, 2019
Connections XPO (formerly known as Career EXPO) offers students—across all majors and class years—a chance to connect with you, former Bennies and Johnnies, to learn about careers and organizations, and practice their career preparation.
The success of Connections XPO depends on our alums like you. It’s an opportunity to share the advice that propelled you forward during and after college. Think of this less as a job fair and more as the ultimate professional development day. Some students will be highly polished and for others, this may be a first try. But for all of them, this is an opportunity to ask questions they have about preparing for their careers, and you can offer them feedback and advice on how to improve. Bring your enthusiasm and your best elevator pitch. And please dress in CSB/SJU branded attire or business casual.
Please review the programs offered throughout the day. Due to strong alum engagement with this event, we may not be able to guarantee the exact role you apply for, but we will find you an opportunity where you can connect with CSB/SJU students. We’re excited to have you at Connections XPO!
- Approximately 90+ organizations from a variety of sectors (arts, sciences, corporate, government, non-profit). Space is limited and will be allocated to ensure representation of each sector.
- It is not a job/internship fair per se; however, share positions (jobs, internships, research, volunteering) available at your organization.
- Every booth must have at least one CSB/SJU alum.
- Each booth will have a draped table and an 8 1/2" X 11" company sign. Large displays are not allowed.
- Career Fair Contact: John Clarkson ([email protected])
- Position description for the Career Fair
- Sign up to be matched with a student for a one-to-one or small group (2-3 students) conversation about your career and experience over a meal or coffee. You will be matched with a student based on what they are seeking to learn more about (e.g. career interest, major, advance degrees, etc.). This is an excellent opportunity to share your story and give students tips on how to make the most of a one-to-one networking meeting.
- Mentoring Meet-ups Contacts:
- Position description for Mentor Meet-Ups
- Panelists share information and advice about major and career options, career paths, trends...
- Brief introduction by facilitator
- Panelists provide a brief (3-4 minute) introduction describing their career path and current position/responsibilities
- Question and answer period
- Students can individually speak with the panelists
- Seminars Contact: Mary Harlander-Locke ([email protected])
- Position description for Seminars
- Bennie and Johnnie alums from a range of careers will be seated at tables around a room. A first year class (ranging between 15-22 students) will come in and each student will rotate around the room to have a 2 minute conversation with each alum to practice elevator pitches and icebreaker conversations. For many of these students, it will be their first time in a professional networking environment. If you make a connection with a student, you can always give them a business card to follow up for a longer chat.
- Speed Networking Contacts:
- Position description for Speed Networking
Prior to XPO
- Consider contacting CSB/SJU faculty and staff and let them know you'll be on campus; encourage them to stop by Connections XPO to visit and to bring their students.
- CSB Parking Map: Gorecki Center is "M"; Parking is available in lots 5 and 8.
- Check-in: Obtain nametag in the President's Room (second level), Gorecki Center.
- Hospitality: Refreshments will be available in the Gorecki President's Room.
- SJU Parking Map: The Quad is "1"; Parking is available in lots P7 and P8.
- Check-in: Obtain nametag in Quad 268, SJU (second level).
- Hospitality: Refreshments will be available in Quad 268.