Health Advocate Job Description
Job Title: Health Advocate
Department/Agency: Counseling and Health Promotion
Length of Position: Academic year
Function/Description of the Position: The mission of the Health Advocates (HA) is to promote student wellness through integrated living, healthy choices, and self-responsibility. The function of the position is to work under the direction of the HA Supervisor to promote the mission through various duties and responsibilities. The Health Advocates promote health through a variety of methods: programming, displays, presentations, collaboration with other student organizations and/or faculty and staff, and publications. The Health Advocate role is one that fosters independence, collaboration, leadership, personal growth, and an increased knowledge base about the promotion of health.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Attends all training and orientation activities for Health Advocate program.
- Contributes to planning, implementation, and evaluation of all Health Advocate activities and events.
- Demonstrate self-motivation and commitment to this position by attending mandatory weekly meetings.
- Encourage students to take self-responsibility for their health by teaching the concept of wellness through various health promotion and health programming methods.
- Demonstrate leadership skills by heading at least one event committee.
- Research and write articles for Healthy Headlines, the Record, and/or other publications/media outlets.
- Serve as a spokeswoman for the Health Advocate group as deemed necessary.
- Collaborate with other campus organizations/faculty/staff on events and programs.
- Meet with Health Advocate Supervisor as needed and/or per request.
Minimum Qualifications to perform the duties of the position:
- Personal commitment to health and wellness.
- Strong and demonstrated leadership skills.
- Ability to work with a group and on individual projects as assigned.
- Communication skills, organizational skills, writing skills, and public speaking ability.
- Previous work experience in a health promotion/health education position is desirable.
- Creativity in promoting events and creating event ideas is desirable.
Work awards of 5-6 hours a week. Hours will be variable week by week because of the functions that the Health Advocates are involved with each week. Flexibility of work hours is imperative.
Contact Person: Lori Klapperich, Health Promotion Programmer