SJU Immunization Record

Frequently Asked Questions 

Why am I required to complete an immunization record?

Minnesota Law (M.S. 135A.14) requires proof that all students born after 1956 are vaccinated against diphtheria, tetanus, measles, mumps, and rubella. Institutions of higher education (colleges and universities) are charged with collecting this information. SJU is simply following the law.

What immunizations are required to attend SJU?

The required immunizations are listed in the top box of your form.

  • Two doses of MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella). Dose #1 given at age 12 months or later. Dose #2 given at least 28 days after the first dose.
  • Tetanus‐Diphtheria Booster within the last 10 years

Are there any exceptions?

There are two types of exemptions that are recognized, a medical exemption and a conscientious exemption. A medical exemption must be completed if you are unable to get the required immunizations because these immunizations would endanger your life or your health or are medically contraindicated because of another medical condition. Your medical provider would be aware of this and would be required to sign off on this exemption. A conscientious/religious exemption is a certification that your religious or personal beliefs cause you to be opposed to immunizations. You wouldn't have a record of immunizations and would need to get a notary to sign and stamp the section you have filled out and signed.

Are there any other vaccinations I should consider?

The Meningitis vaccine is strongly recommended, particularly for those living in residence halls. In addition, Hepatitis A and Varicella (if you have not had chicken pox) are recommended. Talk with your medical provider to determine what is best for you.

Are all incoming students required to have a tuberculosis screening?

If you are from a country other than the United States and currently residing there and are enrolled and planning on attending St. John's University, you are required to have a tuberculosis screening. The screening is set out in steps on the form for your medical provider to follow. It is important that all steps are followed and that your medical provider signs that you are currently free of active tuberculosis if you have had any positive test or abnormal x‐ray.

Note: If you are a national student and have been involved in extensive international travel to areas where TB is endemic (e.g., Asia, Africa, Latin America, and Eastern Europe), you are also a candidate for tuberculin skin testing 10‐12 weeks following your return to the U.S. Discuss with your medical provider to determine if screening is needed.

Do I need to have a physical exam before going to college?

At St. John's you are not required to have a physical exam before starting college unless you plan on participating in NCAA athletics. (Please see specific information about athletic physical at student portal or at the SJU Athletics website It is highly recommended that you have a physical, however. A visit with your medical provider will give you an opportunity to begin the process of making decisions about your own health. You can review with your provider your current health, your current immunizations and talk with him/her about any issues you are concerned about as you enter this next stage of your life. Your provider can help you understand the health issues that are common for a college student. Once you have moved to college, you will be expected to know your medical history, including current medications, surgeries, allergies to medications, your family's history of disease and your health insurance information. It will also be important for you to have your insurance card with you at college.

Who can do a physical for me?

Any licensed provider (nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and physicians) you feel comfortable seeing.  

I lost my SJU Immunization Record Form, Where can I get another one?

You can find a link to the form on the student portal at

Who do I contact if I have questions about what is needed?

You can call (320) 363‐3236 or email Roxie Antil [email protected]

What happens if I do not complete the requirements before coming to SJU?

If you had extenuating circumstances and could not fulfill the requirements before you arrived on campus, contact the Counseling and Health Promotion

Office at 3236 to discuss your options. If the requirements are not completed, a hold will be placed on your registration for the semester following.

When is the SJU Immunization Record due?

  • June 15 if you are starting classes in August or
  • February 1 if you are starting classes in January

Where should I mail, fax or email my completed SJU Immunization Record?

  • Mail - SJU Counseling & Health Promotion, Mary Hall 10, P.O. Box 2000, Collegeville, MN 56321 or
  • Fax -  (320) 363-3797 or
  • Email -  [email protected]