Admitted Student Mentor
Primary Staff Contact: Carol Gadd-Marshall
Purpose of Position: Support prospective students from the time they are admitted to the time they enroll at CSB+SJU.
Responsibilities (all or some of these are options):
- Attend card writing events to generate hand written, personal notes congratulating prospective students on their acceptance, and welcoming them to the CSB+SJU community.
- Attend admitted student receptions to meet and greet admitted and enrolled students and their families. Socialize and mingle while sharing your CSB+SJU experiences.
- Attend one on one coffee shop/lunch meetings, as directed by admission staff, with admitted students who would benefit from additional personal attention and connections to the CSB+SJU community.
- At a territory manager’s direction, email, text, phone or hand write a note to the student and/or parents.
- Share personal experiences about your CSB+SJU experience.
- Conduct similar conversations with prospective students who are younger and have not yet applied or been admitted as opportunity arises.
- Respond to prospective student or parent questions.
- Submit a report of volunteer activities with the admission department including time and mileage.
- Must be an alumna of CSB or an alumnus of SJU
- Willingness to meet one on one with admitted students and/or their families
- Must have completed required CSB+SJU admission training
- Willingness to handwrite notes
- Be current with college and university statistics (At A Glance, demographic profile of both institutions, institutional history, coordinate details)
- Be generally familiar with the admission process (application process and deadlines)
- General knowledge of financial aid (merit-based aid and need based aid, FAFSA)
- Maintain current awareness of frequently asked questions and supporting responses
- Be familiar with the enrollment process and timeline (housing, course selection, etc.)
- Be familiar with student development (FYX, College Success course, etc.)
Time commitment varies by activity. Typical time commitments for these events is as follows:
- Card writing events –2-3 hours
- Accepted Student Receptions – 2-3 hours
- One on One meetings – 1 hour
- Communication with accepted student’s families – varies
- Travel to and from the event or meeting location
- Positive connection to CSB+SJU
- Skill development in areas of public speaking, recruitment, and persuasion
- Networking with other CSB+SJU alums