Frequently Asked Questions

The financial aid award I received wasn’t enough; what else can be done?

Students with financial concerns are encouraged to contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss their financial situation. Students who need additional help beyond the financial aid package offered can usually obtain help through a variety of optional loan programs.

My parents are divorced. How does this affect financial aid?

The financial aid is based on the income of the parent with whom the student lives. If that parent has remarried, the income of the stepparent is also taken into consideration in accordance with federal regulations.

If there are two siblings enrolled at CSB+SJU, is there a discount?

The schools themselves do not offer any discounts. However, with two or more children in the family in college, eligibility for need-based financial aid (grants, loans, student employment) may increase.

How do I arrange campus-based student employment?

Those who apply for financial aid by March 15 and demonstrate need will have the best opportunity to receive a work award. Preference is given to students with the greatest financial need. Students not offered campus employment may request that their names be placed on a waiting list. Typically, job opportunities become available to students on the waiting list in early October.

Is it true that schools give a great aid package the first year to entice a student to enroll and then reduce aid in subsequent years?

This is a financial aid myth that comes up at many colleges.

Any student receiving need-based aid is required to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year, and those results are used to compute the award. Financial aid packages at CSB+SJU are very similar from one year to the next provided the family’s financial situation is consistent.

How can a student be considered independent for financial aid purposes?

Below are the most common situations in which a student is considered independent:

  • Veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • Orphan or ward of the court
  • Have reached the age of 24
  • Married
  • Have a dependent other than a spouse for which the student provides more than half the support.

You will find a complete list of dependency status question for FAFSA on this website:

What are the Federal School codes for CSB and SJU (for Step 6 on the FAFSA)?

School codes (required in Step 6 of the FAFSA):

  • CSB (women) 002341
  • SJU (men) 002379

College of Saint Benedict Saint John’s University

Contact the Admission Office

2850 Abbey Plaza
PO Box 7155
Collegeville, MN 56321

Office 320-363-5060
Toll Free 800-544-1489
Fax 320-363-5650
Email [email protected]