In exceptional circumstances, students may petition for a substitution from specific academic regulations. Forms for requesting a substitution are available from the registrar's homepage. Students should first consult with their academic advisor.  Department chairs are the approving officials for substitutions from requirements within majors and minors. Substitutions from academic regulations beyond major and minor fields require the approval of the academic dean or the dean's designee. Requests for these non-departmental substitutions should be directed to the Academic Advising Offices. The guiding principle in considering requests for any substitution is fidelity to the academic standards of the colleges.