Studies at Other Colleges

Students may complete out-of-residence courses and transfer them to Saint Benedict's and Saint John's provided the following conditions are met:

1) The college at which the coursework is completed is accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting agency at the time of enrollment.

2) Courses to be transferred are similar in content to courses offered for credit at Saint Benedict's and Saint John's. However, coursework already completed at CSB/SJU may not be taken again for credit. In addition, if a student has completed a higher level course or placed out of the course at CSB/SJU they may not earn credit again for the course.

3) A grade of C or higher is earned in each course.

4) The CSB/SJU Registrar's Office receives an official transcript directly from the college at which the courses were completed.

5) To graduate from CSB/SJU, 24 of your last 32 credits must be completed at CSB/SJU. Any concurrent credits taken elsewhere while enrolled at CSB/SJU would be considered part of the eight allowed.

It should be noted that:

1) Credits accepted for these courses are translated into semester credits according to the appropriate translation formula.

2) Grades earned for transferred coursework are not calculated into the student's cumulative CSB/SJU grade point average.

With advance approval, students may apply these courses towards Common Curriculum or Integrations Curriculum, major, minor or elective requirements. Coursework taken to complete Common Curriculum or Integrations Curriculum requirements requires advance consultation with and approval of the Registrar's Office or Academic Advising. Coursework taken to complete major requirements requires prior consultation and approval of the department chair. 

For additional information, visit the Registrar's Office:  Transfer Credits (

Upon completion of the transferrable coursework, the student must request that an official transcript be mailed to:

CSB/SJU Registrar's Office
P.O. Box 2000
Collegeville, MN  56321

Colleges/Universities outside of the U.S.
  • Students who intend to transfer coursework from a foreign college or university must consult the Director of International Studies before beginning such study.
  • You must have a professional transcript evaluation completed through World Education Services (WES, or a similar approved professional transcript evaluation service. The results must be sent to CSB/SJU for consideration

Consult the Center for Global Education for further information.

Current students who entered prior to Fall 2017:

At least 45 of the 124 credits required for a degree must be earned from Saint Benedict's or Saint John's. At least half of the credits required for the major, excluding supporting courses, must be earned from Saint Benedict's or Saint John's.

Current students entering Fall 2017 and later:

At least 48 of the 124 credits required for a degree must be residential credits earned from the College of Saint Benedict or Saint John's University. Residential credits include credits earned at CSB/SJU or one of its sponsored or approved study abroad programs. At least half of the credits required for the major, excluding supporting courses, must be earned from Saint Benedict's or Saint John's University.

Transfer Students entering Fall 2020 and Spring 2021:

Transfer students who enroll at CSB/SJU during fall 2020 or spring 2021, will complete the Common Curriculum degree requirements. A transfer student is defined as a student who attended a post-secondary institution as a degree-seeking student after graduating from high school.  Their transfer coursework will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis to determine the fulfillment of any Common Curriculum requirements or elective credits.  Transfer students need to discuss with the department chair any coursework they would like considered as fulfilling a major or minor requirement.

Transfer Students who enter Fall 2021 or after will be required to complete the new Integrations Curriculum.