Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grades

Students not on academic probation may take a maximum of one course per semester during the sophomore, junior or senior year for which they will receive a grade of satisfactory (S) or unsatisfactory (U). This is in addition to those courses offered only on an S/U basis. The grade of S will be recorded for work meriting letter grades of A, AB, B, BC, C. No credit toward graduation is granted for a course receiving a grade of U.

The courses selected for S/U grading may not include offerings in the student's declared major; required supportive courses for that major; or courses announced for A-F grading only. However, a student who is undecided about or changes a major field may be allowed one course with an S grade toward completion of that major. Courses required for a minor may be taken S/U with permission of the department chair. In a course with standard grading (the option of A-F or S/U), the student may request S/U status up until the deadline specified in the instructor’s syllabus (but not later than the end of the semester), after which there can be no change in grade status. Whether the course is S/U or graded, all students must fulfill the same assignments and course responsibilities.