Career Assistant Job Description/Application
A Career Assistant in the Experience & Professional Development Resource Center provides direct service to students and alumni needing assistance in career research and exploration. Training is provided to give the Career Assistant a strong foundation in helping skills, programming skills and career research strategies. A work award is required for these positions.
We are currently seeking applicants for Spring 2018 Career Assistants in the CSB Experience & Professional Development (XPD) Office. Complete the Career Assistant Application Form, print and submit along with a copy of your resume to Experience & Professional Development in the Academic Services Building.
Application and resume are due by Tuesday, November 28, 2017. Interviews will begin Nov. 29th. The application deadline will be extended only if positions are not filled.
Experience & Professional Development (XPD) Career Assistant Application Form - CSB XPD Office
View Resume Samples | View On-Line Resume Workshop (approx. 8 minutes)
- Participate in on-going training throughout the year. This training is usually scheduled for an hour, approximately once a week.
- Assist students in finding appropriate information and resources related to their major/career decision-making.
- Assist students in using various assessment tools, resources, and the XPD homepage.
- Utilize social media and software (e.g. Photoshop, Publisher) to create promotional materials to market XPD programs to students, faculty, and campus community. Initiate and implement marketing strategies.
- Participate in the assessment and evaluation of XPD programs.
- Assist XPD staff in implementing various career programs/events.
- Work individually or as part of a group to initiate, develop, plan, and coordinate various projects related to events/topics such as:
- Career Exploration Series
- Career EXPO
- Workshops on career related topics (e.g. Internship/Job Search Strategies, LinkedIn, Major/Career Decision Making, Thinking about Graduate School, etc.
- Conduct resume/cover letter critiques, practice interviews, and provide feedback to students
- Fairs/Info Sessions (greet and host employers)
- Maintain and update information in the XPD Center and on the XPD homepage
- Develop and conduct residence hall programs
- Enjoyment of and ability to work with people; good interpersonal skills
- Willingness to learn new information
- Good communication skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy/planning and organization
- Self-motivation and initiative; ability to carry through on projects with minimal supervision
- Technology skills: social media, word processing, database programs
- Strong customer service skills
- Willingness to work independently and as part of a team
- Must be able to work approximately 2-hour shifts every day or every other day.
- Must be able to work some late afternoon shifts and evenings for programming.
- Must attend weekly hour-long training sessions.