What to Expect
When you arrive
You will meet with the tutor that you made an appointment with. If you haven't made an appointment, ask if you can have a walk-in appointment and tutors will help you if they are available.
Your tutor will ask about your year in school, your class, your professor's name and what writing assignment you are working on. We want to ge to know you, and understand the assignment that you need help with.
You will head to a quiet table to read your paper out loud. The pencil will be placed in your hand to give you control over the session. Together, you will discuss the paper's strengths and weaknesses and devise a plan for improving the paper.
Hierarchy of Writer Concerns
The items at the bottom of the hierarchy are foundational! They will be given the most attention by the tutor. If the items at the foundation of the hierarchy are solid, more attention will be given to the particulars such as sentence structure and grammar.
Remember: Start at the foundation (bottom) of the pyramid and then make your way up!
Step By Step: How to Make the Most of Your Session
- Make sure you have enough time: sign up for a half-hour or hour long time slot on our Online Scheduler.
- NOTE: we do accept walk-in appointments, but you will not be guaranteed an appointment if all tutors are busy.
- Choose who you want to work with: pick a tutor that is familiar with your paper topic! Choose from our list of Tutor Specialties list.
- Come earlier rather than later: we can help you the most, if you have time to revise!
- Bring a printed copy of your paper!
- Bring the assignment sheet!
- Know what you want to work on. Be able to tell your tutor if you need to look at organization, thesis, etc.
- Relax! There is no need to be nervous! The Writing Center tutors are friendly and eager to help!
- Come into the Writing Center again! Make multiple appointments for the same paper so that you have help during all stages of the writing process.