People and Policies
Commitment to Sustainability 2013
As institutions of higher education, we strive to prepare students to be responsible citizens equipped to meet the social, ethical, local and global challenges of today. As Catholic, Benedictine institutions, we take seriously our responsibility to be stewards for the entire community of life on Earth now and into the future. To achieve these goals, we are dedicated to creating a culture of sustainability at College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University.
To this end, we will continue to:
- Commit ourselves to the principles of sustainability: our actions should be ecologically sound, socially just, and economically viable today and for future generations
- Seek a leadership role exercising these principles in academics, operations and outreach
- Strive to reflect the virtues of humility, stability and frugality within our institutional practices
- Honor our dedication to the American College and University Presidents' Climate Commitment signed in 2007 and the Catholic Climate Covenant signed in 2012, and
- Endeavor to integrate sustainability into all facets of campus life.
We make this commitment on Earth Day, April 22, 2013.
President, College of Saint Benedict
President, Saint John's University