How to Write a Winning Nomination
Note: The Student Employee of the Year Selection Committee members stress the importance of a good letter in their decision making process.
- Select a nominee – consider student employees who contribute to the institution’s work environment in a special and unique way.
- Write a nomination as a professional reference letter. If you need assistance with this, please contact either Student Employment Office, the CSB Writing Center, SJU Writing Center, or another supervisor.
- Stress reliability, initiative, uniqueness of contribution, professionalism, and quality of work, with emphasis placed on the uniqueness of contribution to the institution(s).
- Team nominations should also include common team goals, individual member responsibilities to the team, and should clearly describe the team's synergy - where the team performs in a way that is greater than the sum of its parts.
- Make the nomination as comprehensive as possible in supporting the nominee. Only the supervisor’s letter will be submitted for the state competition (individual nominations only).
- Ask students to write their reactions to their student employment position. How has student employment positively influenced their academics? How have they grown personally and professionally?
- Include the skills they have learned from student employment that will transfer to future employment positions.