Student Instructions for Electronic Time Sheets
- Go to CSB/SJU homepage: http://www.csbsju.edu
- Choose A-Z index
- Choose B – Banner Web Self Service
- Enter secure area
- Enter Banner ID number
- Enter WSC password
- After accessing Banner Web Self Service
- Choose “Employee”
- Choose “Time Sheet”
- Choose the time sheet that you want to record hours on by choosing the correct month from the drop down menu
- Click “Time Sheet”
- Click “Enter Hours” next to “Regular Earnings” on a day that you want to record hours
- Enter the number of hours you worked that day and click “Save”
- Click “Next” to progress through the weeks
- Important: Do not use the Internet Explorer forward and back buttons when using your electronic time sheet; this causes errors. Instead use the menu options in Banner Web Self Service.
- Please Note: Round your hours to the nearest quarter hour
- Examples: 1 hour and 15 minutes = 1.25; 1½ = 1.5; 1¾ = 1.75
- Record 1 hour and 10 minutes as 1.25 and 1 hour and 5 minutes as 1.
- Please Note: Round your hours to the nearest quarter hour
You will not be able to edit your hours after you have submitted your time for approval.
Must be submitted by “Submit By Date” at top of time sheet
- After you have entered all of your hours for the entire month click “Submit for Approval”
- Read the statement and enter your PIN (same as WSC).
- The top of your time sheet should now say “Your time sheet was submitted successfully.”
Your time sheet is now waiting for approval from your supervisor; the bottom of your time sheet shows when you submitted it, who has approved it, and who has not yet approved it.
- I've entered my time for today and want to save my time sheet so that I can enter hours again later in the month. How do I save my time sheet?
- I have two jobs, how do I go back and enter time for the second job without using the Internet Explorer forward and back buttons?
There are four reasons that your time sheet may not be available for you to enter hours:
- The CSB/SJU Student Employment Office has not received an approved Notification of Hiring (NOH) form for your position. If you have not completed an NOH please do so as soon as possible.
- You have recently completed the NOH form. It will take a few days for the Student Employment Office to get your position set up.
- You are missing required employment forms. The Student Employment Office must have the following employment forms on file before your time sheet will be available for you to enter hours:
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form
- Student Employment Contract
- W-4 Tax Withholding Form
- Direct Deposit Form
- Your department does not use an electronic time sheet. There are a handful of departments on campus who do not use electronic time sheets; most of these departments use punch cards instead. If you use a punch card to record time, you will not have an electronic time sheet.
If none of these reasons pertain to you, please contact the Student Employment Office, and we will check into why your time sheet is not yet available.
No, you should only enter hours on the days that you worked. You should not enter zeros on the days that you do not work.
The top "Enter Hours" option on each day is for regular time and the bottom "Enter Hours" option is for overtime. You should only enter hours in overtime if you have worked over forty hours in one week (Sunday-Saturday).
By clicking the "Save" button when you entered your time you have already saved your time sheet. You can either click "Exit" on the top right corner of Banner Web Self Service, or close the Internet Explorer Window to close your time sheet. The information you entered will still be there the next time you log in.
Round your hours to the nearest quarter hour. Examples:
- 1 hour and 15 minutes = 1.25; 1 hour and 30 minutes = 1.5; 1 hour and 45 minutes = 1.75
- Record 1 hour and 10 minutes as 1.25 and record 1 hour and 5 minutes as 1.
On the bottom left corner of your time sheet choose the "Position Selection" button. This will bring you back to the screen where you choose a time sheet.
Using the forward and back buttons on Internet Explorer can put your time sheet in an "Error" status. Using the forward and back buttons seem to confuse the program because it is unsure of whether you want to undo what you just did (enter time, etc.) or if you want to go back to the previous screen. It is best to use the menu options in Banner Web Self Service to navigate.
There are two reasons that you may not be able to edit the hours: 1. You have already submitted your time sheet for approval or 2. It is past the Submit By Date for the time sheet.
After you have submitted your time sheet for approval you can no longer edit the hours. There are two ways you can tell if you have submitted your time for approval:
- When you go to choose your time sheet it will say Pending behind the dates that the time sheet is for. This means that your time sheet is waiting for approval from your supervisor.
- When you are in your time sheet, the bottom portion of your time sheet includes information about when your time sheet was submitted for approval, who it was approved by, and who it's waiting for approval from. If there is a date listed behind "Submitted for Approval By", this means that your time sheet has been submitted.
After the Submit By Date on the top of your time sheet has passed you will no longer be able to edit your time sheet. At this point the Student Employment Office is too far in the payroll process to accept any changes. You must submit your time sheet before the Submit By Date date to have your hours paid with the correct payroll.
There are two ways that your time can be changed after you have submitted it to your supervisor.
- Your supervisor can change the time before he/she approves it. This option is best when only a couple of changes need to be made to your time sheet. You will need to contact your supervisor with information about what needs to be changed.
- Your supervisor can choose to return the time sheet to you for correction. Then you will be able to edit the time sheet, and you will need to submit the time sheet for approval again. This option is best when you need to make several changes to your time sheet. You will need to contact your supervisor and ask him/her to return the time sheet to you for correction. Supervisors can find information about how to return a time sheet for correction in the Supervisor Frequently Asked Questions section.
There are two ways you can tell if your time sheet has been approved:
- When you go to choose your time sheet it will say Approved behind the dates that the time sheet is for. This means that your time sheet has been approved by your supervisor.
- When you are in your time sheet, the bottom portion of your time sheet includes information about when your time sheet was submitted for approval, who it was approved by, and who it's waiting for approval from. In this section if there is an action that states Approved with a date behind it, this means that your timesheet has been approved by your supervisor.