Dale Launderville, OSB
- Dean, School of Theology and Seminary, 1989 - 1999, 2015 -
- Professor of Theology, 1981-82; 1985-
- Chair, Department of Theology, 2008-2011
- Chaplain, School of Theology and Seminary, 2008-
- Rector, Saint John's Seminary, 1992-1997
Recent Courses Taught
- Pentateuch (Spring 2016, Fall 2010, Spring 2009)
- Introduction to the Christian Tradition I (Fall 2013, Fall 2012, Fall 2011, Fall 2010, Fall 2009)
- Introduction to the Christian Tradition II (Spring 2014, Spring 2013, Spring 2012, Summer 2012, Spring 2011, Spring 2010)
- Prophets (Spring 2013, Fall 2011, Fall 2009)
- Psalms (Fall 2015, Spring 2012, Fall 2008)
Celibacy in the Ancient World: Its Ideal and Practice in Pre-Hellenistic Israel, Mesopotamia, and Greece
(Collegeville: The Liturgical Press, July 2010).
Spirit and Reason: The Embodied Character of Ezekiel's Symbolic Thinking
(Waco: Baylor University Press, 2007).
Piety and Politics: The Dynamics of Royal Authority in Homeric Greece, Biblical Israel, and Old Babylonian Mesopotamia
(Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2003).
Preparing two-volume commentary on the Book of Ezekiel for the Illuminations Series of Eerdmans (ed. by Leong Seow).
"The Threat of Syncretism to Ezekiel's Exilic Audience in the Dry Bones Passage" in Die Welt des Orient 45,1 (2015) 38-49.
"Translating Biblical Texts Within an Ecclesial Context," in God's Word and the Church's Council: Vatican II and Divine Revelation (ed. Mark O'Brien OP and Christopher Monaghan CP; Adelaide: ATF Theology, 2014) 149-62
"Why Pray the Psalms?" in Pastoral Essays in Honor of Lawrence Boadt, CSP (ed. Corrine L. Carvalho; New York/Mahwah, NJ: Paulist Press, 2013.
"Jeremiah and Ezekiel: Prophets Who Are Priests Without a Sanctuary," Bible Today 50 (2012) 285-91.
ReviewsNaphtali S. Meshel, The 'Grammar of Sacrifice': A Generativist Study of the Israelite Sacrificial System in the Priestly Writings with a 'Grammar' of Σ (Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2014). In CBQ 77 (2015) 741-43.
Christopher G. Frechette, Mesopotamian Ritual-prayers of Hand-lifting" (Akkadian Šuillas): An Investigation in Light of the Idiomatic Meaning of the Rubric. AOAT 379; Münster: Ugarit-Verlag, 2012. In CBQ 75 (2013) 119-21.
"Priestly and Prophetic Approaches to the Symbolic Character of the Book of Ezekiel" for the seminar on Divinity in Ancient Israel at the Catholic Biblical Association meeting at Notre Dame on July 28-31, 2012.
"The Threat of Fragmentation in the Mesopotamian Milieu: Ezekiel's Priestly-Prophetic Response to Exilic Despair in the Dry Bones Passage," for the session on Theological Perspectives on the Book of Ezekiel at the Society of Biblical Literature meeting in Chicago on November 17-20, 2012.
"Prophetic Versus Apocalyptic Ezekiel: A Commentary on a Pluriform Text," presented as a research report at the international meeting of the Catholic Biblical Association at Gonzaga U., Spokane, WA, August, 2013.