Recent courses taught:
- Introduction to Pastoral Care, Spring 2013
- Integration Seminar, Fall 2012
- Theology and Spirituality of Vocation, Spring 2011
- Contemporary Spiritual Practices, Fall 2011
Introducing the Practice of Ministry.
(Collegeville: Liturgical Press, August 2010).
Formed in the Image of Christ:
The Sacramental-Moral Theology of Bernard Häring, C.Ss.R.
(Collegeville: Liturgical Press, 2004).
Projects That Matter:
Successful Planning and Evaluation for Religious Organizations
(Bethesda: The Alban Institute, 2003).
Read an excerpt
“Locating Practical Theology in Catholic Theological Discourse and Practice,” International Journal of Practical Theology, 15:1 (2011): 1-21.
“Reframing Knowing, Being, and Doing in the Seminary Classroom,” Teaching Theology and Religion, 14:4 (October 2011).
- “Integration in Theological Education,” Wiley-Blackwell Companion to Practical Theology, ed. Bonnie J. Miller-McLemore. Wiley-Blackwell Pub., 2011.
- “Pastoral Theology or Practical Theology? Limits and Possibilities" in Keeping Faith in Practice: Aspects of Catholic Pastoral Theology, eds. James Sweeney, Gemma Simmonds, and David Lonsdale (London: SCM Press, 2010), 99-116.
“Beyond Pastoral Theology: Why Catholics should Embrace Practical Theology,” in
Secularization Theories, Religious Identity and Practical Theology, eds. Wilhelm Gräb and Lars Charbonnier (Zurich: Lit Verlag GmbH & Co., 2009), 392-97.
- “Teaching Practical Theology: Examining Six Sub-Disciplines,” with Carol Lakey Hess and Bonnie Miller-McLemore, International Journal of Practical Theology, 12/1 (November 2008): 80-87.
- “Introducing Ministry and Fostering Integration: Teaching the Book-ends of the Masters of Divinity Program,” in For Life Abundant: Practical Theology, Theological Education, and Christian Ministry, eds. Craig Dykstra and Dorothy C. Bass (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2008), 91-115.
"Creating Space to Listen to God's Call: Discernment in Youth Ministry," in Growing Souls: Experiments in Contemplative Youth Ministry, ed. Mark Yaconelli (Zondervan, 2007): 148-169.
Richard R. Osmer, Practical Theology: An Introduction. Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2008. Review in Worship 83/4 (July 2009): 371-73.
Elaine Graham et al., Theological Reflection: Methods. London: SCM Press, 2005.
Review in Worship, 81/4 (July 2007): 358-59.
- Christian Smith, Soul Searching: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of American Teenagers. New York: Oxford University Press, 2005. Review in Worship, 79/6 (November 2005) 567-70.
Robert L. Browning and Roy A. Reed, Forgiveness, Reconciliation and Moral Course: Motives and Designs for Ministry in a Troubled World. Wm. B. Eerdmans Pub. Co., 2004. Review in Worship, 79/4 (July 2005) 372-74.
Edward P. Hahnenberg, Ministries: A Relational Approach. Crossroad Pub. Co., 2003. Review in Worship, 79/4 (July 2005) 378-80.
- "Reflections on Case Studies in Practical Theology and Ministry," Christian Theological Research Fellowship, Case Studies of the Church at Worship: New Paradigms forTeaching Theology and Worship, American Academy of Religion, November 18, 2012.
- "Narrating the Self through Scripture: The Practice of lectio divina Today," Sacred Texts and Roman Catholic Approaches in Practical Theology, panel presentation, Association of Practical Theology, April 15, 2012.
- "Discipleship? Ministry? What They are and How They are Related," Theology Day, Saint John's School of Theology, April 13, 26, May 10, 18, 2012.
- "Learning Ministry over Time," Catholic Theological Union Field Education Supervisors, March 21, 2012.
- "The Grammar of Vocation," Wellesley Congregational Church, Wellesley, Massachusetts, February 11-12, 2012.
- "The Call to Discipleship, the Vocation to Ministry," Association of Coordinators and Religious Educators, St. Paul MN, January 26, 2012.
- "The Grammar of Vocation," Christ Church Newman Center, Saint Cloud State University, November 1, 2011.
“Understanding Integration in Theological Education,” International Academy of Practical Theology, Amsterdam, Netherlands, July 21-26, 2011.
- “Ministry Education: State of the Art Roundtable,” International Academy of Practical Theology, Amsterdam, Netherlands, July 21-26, 2011.
- “Education for Vocation,” Augsburg College, Panel Presentation, November 2, 2010.
- “Roman Catholic Contributions and Challenges in Practical Theology: Academy and Ecclesial Life,” Panel participant, Association of Practical Theology, Boston University, April 10, 2010.
School of lectio divina, retreat leader, St. Paul Monastery, St. Paul, Minnesota, February, 15-20, 2013.
- "Visio divina II: Praying with Imagination," retreat leader, Saint John's University School of Theology·Seminary, November 4-9, 2012.
- "Visio divina with The Saint John's Bible," Holden Village, August 20-25 2012.
- School of lectio divina, retreat leader, St. Paul Monastery, St. Paul, Minnesota, December 9-14, 2011.
- "Visio divina II: Praying with Imagination," retreat leader, Saint John's University School of Theology·Seminary, October 17-21, 2011.
Visio Divina II: Praying with Imagination, Saint John’s School of Theology, October 17-21, 2011:
- Project Director of the “Collegeville Seminars,” a grant awarded to the Collegeville Institute for Ecumenical and Cultural Research from Lilly Endowment, Inc.; July 1, 2009-June 30, 2013
- Past President, Association of Practical Theology, 2008-2010 (president, 2006-2008)
Grant awarded by Lilly Endowment, Inc., “Research in Practical Theology, Theological Education and Ministry and Continuing Efforts in Evaluation;” July 1, 2005-June 30, 2008.
2005 Book Award, Catholic Press Association, Second Place: Theology Formed in the Image of Christ: The Sacramental-Moral Theology of Bernard Häring. Collegeville, Minnesota: Liturgical Press, 2004
Member, International Association of Practical Theology, nominated and accepted 2005