Social Science Division
The Social Science Division consists of the following departments and programs: Accounting and Finance, Economics, Education, Management, McNeely Center for Entrepreneurship, Military Science, Peace Studies, Physical Education, Political Science, Psychology, Social Work and Sociology. These departments are housed on the College of Saint Benedict campus and/or Saint John's University campus. Dr. Ernest Diedrich is the Social Science Division Head.
CONGRATULATIONS on the approval of 2011-2012 sabbaticals for the Social Science Division faculty noted below!
- Claire Haeg, Political Science Dept.
- John Hasselberg, Management Dept.
- Jan Holtz, Psychology Dept.
- Jeff Kamakahi, Sociology Dept.
- Janna LaFountaine, Physical Education Dept.
- Sanford Moskowitz, Management Dept.
- Gary Prevost, Political Science Dept.
- James Read, Political Science Dept.
- Parker Wheatley, Economics Dept.
Congratulations to Political Science majors Melanie Miesen, Lindsey Krause, and Jenny Schwope who will present their honors research at the National Conference for Undergraduate Research in New York, March 31-April 2, 2011. The titles of their research projects are:
- Melanie Miesen, "Financial Services Reform: A Case Study in Unorthodox Lawmaking"
- Lindsey Krause, "Conditions for Success: Examining Conditional Party Government in the Minnesota House of Representatives"
- Jennifer Schwope, "Female Legislators' Impact on Policy Initiatives Related to Gender Equity: Case Study of the Evolution of the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009"
Congratulations to RON PAGNUCCO, Peace Studies Department and Christopher Hausmann '04 on their recent publication:
Journal for Peace & Justice Studies; Fall 2010 Volume 20, Number 2
Special Issue: Peacebuilding in Africa
Guest Editors: Ron Pagnucco and Christopher Hausmann
Table of Contents and further information
Congratulations to MARY JEPPERSON, Accounting and Finance Department, on being selected for the George Krull/Grant Thornton 2010 Teaching Innovation Award for her presentation "Use Technology to Enhance Auditing Classes" at the Summer 2010 American Accounting Association (AAA) Conference. AAA is the premier conference of accounting faculty and is attended by about 3,000 accounting faculty.
October 2010 - Congratulations to Louis Johnston (Economics Department) on being a significant contributor to Principles of Enonomics, Brief Edition, 2/e, 2011:
Congratulations to Dan Finn(Economics Department) on the publication of: The True Wealth of Nations: Catholic Social Thought and Economic Life, edited by Daniel Finn. Oxford University Press: September 2010.
Overview of Division
- We're ten departments and one program strong
- Over 100 full-time professors, associate professors and instructors call our division home (about 30% of all full-time profs).
- 41% of CSB/SJU students major in the Social Science Division (p. 12 of the 2006-2007 Registrar's Annual Report).
- 43% of the degrees granted by our institutions were to Social Science majors (p. 26 of the 2006-2007 Registrar's Annual Report).
- The Management Department has the largest number of majors and comprises about 13% of all majors at CSB/SJU.
Congratulations to Jaselyn Taubel, senior economics major, who had her paper entitled “Do Higher Levels of Educational Attainment Lead to Higher Levels of Happiness? An Empirical Study” selected as a finalist for the Midwest Economics Association’s Undergraduate Paper Competition. The conference will be held from March 19-21, 2010 in Evanston, Illinois. The winner of the contest will be selected from the papers that are presented at the conference.