Staff Conservation Tips
As a community which cares about sustainability, help create a culture of sustainability by doing these simple things to cut waste and energy use.
- Ride the Link instead of driving to the other campus.
- Try renting the fuel-efficient WeCars, which are parked in convenient locations on both campuses.
- Turn on your computer's energy savings settings. Screen savers don't save energy; have the monitor shut off after 5–10 minutes and go to standby after 20 minutes (Note: leave campus computers on standby as IT uploads information at night).
- Turn off lights everywhere when they aren't in use, including in common areas such as kitchens, conference rooms, storage closets, and bathrooms.
- Take advantage of natural lighting, or use task lighting (a lamp) instead of overhead lighting.
- Plug your electronics into a power strip and turn it off when you aren't using them.
- Carpool to work.
- Unplug things in your office when you aren't using them, especially chargers.
- Turn off printers, faxes, and other items with an on-off button when you leave for the day.
- Replace incandescent (round) light bulbs with CFLs (spiral).
- Make sure all windows are locked shut, and contact Facilities/Physical Plant if you are too hot or too cold .