Year Built: 1951
Saint Mary Hall commonly referred to as Mary Hall, was built in 1951 to accommodate the rising student population (and replace barracks built by the government as emergency housing after World War II). The hall was the second separate dormitory built for SJU students (Saint Benet Hall was the first). The building (278'x47') was built to house 222 students in its three floors featuring double rooms and oak furnishings built by the Abbey Carpenter Shop. When it was dedicated on September 2, 1951, the ground floor housed a newly located Cafeteria, a study and a recreation room for day students of the college. In 2001 the basement was renovated to consolidate the offices of student life. It also is the center for the many summer events, workshops and conferences that take place on campus.
For a more complete history of Saint Mary Hall, please visit the Saint John's Archives
Available Room Types:
Dressers are not provided; however, closets do have shelves for storage. The shelves are very deep.
Note: No University furnishings may be removed from rooms or apartments. Storage of University furniture outside of an assigned residence area is not allowed.
There are 6 shelves in the Mary Hall closets. They are spaced roughly 8" apart. There is a bottom space from the floor to the 1st shelve that is about 18" high. The space from the top shelf to the ceiling is about 15". The shelves are 18" deep and 12" wide. We encourage students to invest in storage containers that can be used as pull out drawers on the shelves. Under the bed storage containers are also useful.
Mattresses - All mattresses are extra long (39" x 80")