Woodworking - Physical Plant
Built in 1868, just 12 years after the pioneer monks arrived in Collegeville, this facility was designed by Father Raphael Knapp, O.S.B. For decades it served as a blacksmith shop and as a carpenter shop, providing much of the wood and timber needed to build Saint John's. With the demise of the horse and buggy, so went the blacksmith shop.
Today the facility houses the Abbey Woodworking Shop on the ground floor and the administrative offices of the Physical Plant department on the upper floor.
Abbey Woodworking has produced most of the furnishings found in the student resident halls, including the lofting units found in Vincent Court, Benet Hall, and Maur and Placid Houses. It continues a great tradition of quality, custom furniture building.
This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.