The monastery, located directly south of the Abbey Church, is the residence for the monks of Saint John's Abbey who sponsor Saint John's University, Saint John's Preparatory School, and Liturgical Press. Designed by Marcel Breuer, it was constructed in 1955. As the residence for monks, the monastery is a cloister -- meaning it is not open to the public. In addition to housing monks, the monastery contains recreation rooms and offices for the officials of the monastery, the abbot, prior, subprior, and director of formation.
On the ground floor, the monastery also provides sacristies for the Abbey Church.