Constructed in 1878, just 22 years after the monks arrived at Collegeville, this structure was designed by Father Gregory Steil, O.S.B. Its first life was that of a Butcher Shop, preparing meats for the kitchen needs of a growing institution.
When the farm herd was abandoned in the late 50's, the building was cleaned up and became a "coffee house" in the mid-60s and later a campus pub - aptly named "The Butcher Shop." When the campus pub function was slated to be located in Sexton Commons, the building was turned over to electrical maintenance personnel.
This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.