Football field, top: undated, bottom: 2006 (click thumbnails for larger image)
Prior to 1908, the patch of land, where Clemens Stadium now stands, was a cranberry marsh. In 1909, the first SJU football field, called the 'Natural Bowl' was completed. It was greatly praised as one of the most natural feeling football fields. However just a year later, football at SJU was abolished on the grounds that it promoted "unfriendliness towards other schools". 'The Bowl' stood vacant for ten years until 1920, when the Johnnies joined the MIAC.
For the next seventy plus years, the stadium was constantly in a state of renovation. In 1922, the enlargement of the field was completed which doubled its original size. Eleven years later, in 1933, concrete seats were added when the stadium went through one of its many renovations. In addition the cinder track encircling the field was added. In 1939, the stone entrance for the field was constructed and then in 1943 the press box and concession stands were added.
With the growing number of football fans, the stadium was again enlarged to seat 3,000 in 1957. Forty years later, the stadium went through its largest renovation - including a new press box, field-house, bathrooms and seating - and was renamed Clemens Stadium after Bill Clemens, who generously donated funds for the project. In 2009, the press box and bathrooms were renovated again and an elevator was added. Finally in 2010, after 102 years, lights were installed in the Stadium, allowing both day and night games to be held there if need be.