Architect: Marcel Breuer & Associates, New York
Dates: 1958-1961, 1984
A wealth of information is available about the Abbey Church. See Abbey and University Church: An Introduction and the other sources listed below.
- See also Breuer Bibliography
- Abbey and University Church of Saint John the Baptist, 5th ed, a 36-page illustrated booklet about the Abbey Church, 1980.
- Abbey Church Tour Brochure, colored photos and descriptions of the church and its features; includes "The Relics of Collegeville: Souvenirs of the Saints" by Michael Kwatera, OSB, from the Abbey Banner, Fall 2002, p. 12-13.
- To Praise the Living God, a 16-page illustrated booklet about the Abbey Church planning, ca. 1958.
- Avery, Benedict R., OSB. The Crypt Furnishings of the Abbey Church of Saint John the Baptist. 11-page unpublished document describing the features of the church, including the art works in the crypt's 34 individual chapels.
- Walking Tour of the Abbey Church, a brochure with a map and information
- Abbey Church Construction, a YouTube video (14:40 min) using archival photos to show the monumental task of building the church.
- Building the Saint John's Abbey Church, a YouTube video (9:25 min) describing the architect and the costruction process of the Abbey.
- Designing a Church for Saint John's in the Mid-20th Century: What the Architect and the Monks Had in Mind by David Paul Lange, OSB, 2 October, 2013, a YouTube video (55 min) on the designing of the first and second Abbey churches. A taping of a Benedictine Institute Lunch and Learn presentation.
- Thimmesh, Hilary, OSB. Marcel Breuer and a Committee of Twelve Plan a Church: A Monastic Memoir. Collegeville: SJU Press, 2011. NOTE: CSB/SJU login required.
- Twomey, Mark “New Church, St. Thomas Hall Ahead of Schedule,” The Record, 10 October 1958, p.4.
- Steinbronn, Tim “Stained Glass Artistry Progesses,” The Record, 6 May 1960, p.2.
- Haeg, Ben, "86 is Year of Architectural Anniversaries," Alumni Magazine, Autumn, 1986, p. 6-8.
- Horwich, Jeff. "Still controversial, the Abbey Church turns 40," Minnesota Public Radio. 24 October 2001.