DW Faculty Training Guide
Access Degree Works through Banner Web Self-Service.
-Student Information Menu
-Degree Works (now in the new DegreeWorks program
Finding a student - or group of students
Find a student before going to the worksheet or planner tabs.
-Enter "Student ID" box and enter.
If student ID is unknown - use the Find button.
Search for a student by entering the last and/or first name.
Enter a partial name and insert @ behind. This brings up a list of the options.
Enter the full last name, and partial first name (without the @), but not vice versa
When searching for a group of students, use the criteria in the boxes. Results will display at bottom of screen.
First column -- pick one item from each drop down menu.
Second column - can choose more than one for each drop down menu (for example, pick ACFN, HIST & PHIL majors and all students pursuing these majors will be listed).
Third column - Advisor may search for a list of all advisees. Insert Banner ID under Advisor ID and hit enter to view the list of advisees.
After inserting search criteria, click the "Search" box. The results will appear at the bottom of the screen. The list of students can be revised by checking/unchecking the appropriate names and clicking "OK". Note that the majors listed at the bottom of the screen after the search are just the 1st major, but DW searches for 2nd majors too.
When searching for more than one name, all appear in the drop down menu by the "Name" box at the top left part of your screen. To move to the next student, use the arrows to the right or left of the name button.
There are two formats of the worksheets: Student View & Registration Checklist.
To switch views, hit the "View" button after choosing a different format.
The student view format is the most comprehensive.
The Registration Checklist format views only what the student has yet to complete. Be careful that some unmet conditions may not show on this format (e.g. 124 credit or Upper division graduation requirements). All audits will default to include in-progress & pre-registered courses.
The worksheets can be saved in PDF form by hitting the "Save as PDF" button.
The "Class History" link displays a chronological view of all classes a student has taken. It is not a transcript, but a concise way to view a student's academic history and any trends.
The student and advisor names are linked to their email addresses.
The legend is on the bottom of the worksheet.
The worksheet is broken down into blocks.
Student info, Degree, Common Curriculum, Major/minor, All-College Honors, General Electives Counted Towards Degree Requirements, Courses Not Currently Applicable to Degree Requirements, In-progress, Not Counted, Notes, & Exceptions. Blocks only show up if they are appropriate for the student.
- First block is the degree block - general graduation requirements. Look in blue header - the catalog year defaults from Banner. GPA in blue header is drawn from DW whereas Overall GPA in Student View above comes from Banner (they should be the same). The "Credits Required" should be 124. The "Credits Applied" in blue header includes in-progress and pre-registered credits.
- Honors block will show up if the student is eligible for the honors program. It does not necessarily mean that the student will pursue all college honors. The green box is always checked if they are eligible for the honors program - whether or not they have completed it.
- "Common Curriculum" & "Major/Minor" blocks show all met & unmet requirements.
- "General Electives Counted Towards Degree Requirements" are any courses that count towards general graduation credits, but are not fulfilling any specific requirement. They are generally referred to as general electives.
- "Courses Not Currently Applicable to Degree Requirements" courses cannot be used toward degree requirements. These include failed courses, withdrawals, audited courses, courses that are repeated for credit.
- "In-progress" are courses the student is currently registered for this semester.
- "Not counted" are courses that exceed the limit of credits that are allowed for that particular course.
- "Notes" will be generated by the Registrar's Office only. These will be general audit notes and the most recent note will be on the top. All are able to view the notes.
The most current audit will be on top with any frozen audits underneath. This will mostly be used for seniors who have had multiple audits done and you want to look back at previous audits that have been frozen by the Registrar's office.
Defaults to undergraduate.
Choose a certain degree (BA or BS) to get the drop down menu for the majors/minors. The degree defaults from the student Banner record. If a student is not accepted to a major yet, "Not in Upper Division" will be displayed. There are no majors/minors listed if BA or BS is not in the degree type. Multiple majors or minors can be chosen under "Choose your Different Areas of Study".
When finished picking the scenario, click "Process What-If" at the top.
All major substitutions that have been approved by the department chairperson will be listed in Degree Works after the paperwork has been submitted to the Registrar's office.
Graduation Calculator: Use this tab if you want to find out if a desired GPA is attainable before graduation.
Term Calculator: Use this tab if you want an estimated GPA by putting estimates of grades for the term.
Advice Calculator: Use this tab if want to know if a desired GPA is possible. It will give different scenarios for attaining the desired GPA. If it would require too many credits, it will state so or that it is not possible or realistic.