Medical School Basic Prerequisites
Medical schools in the US have generally required the following courses, although many have different requirements. (The American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC) also recognizes that undergraduate course offerings differ by institution.)
- One year of General Biology
- One year General Chemistry
- One year of Organic Chemistry
- One year of non-calculus based Physics
- Biochemistry with a laboratory
Many schools require some college-level math, either a calculus and/or statistics course(s).
Note that beyond these basic requirements, medical schools may require additional courses. Consult the latest issue of the Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR) for specifics on particular schools. This book is on reserve in both the CSB and SJU library -- it is listed under pre-med advisors' names.
Explore the following links to obtain information on:
- Admissions requirements for schools that many of our graduates attend.
- A searchable list of medical schools in the U.S. and Canada from the Princeton Review site -- offers information on admissions, specific pre-requisites, financial aid, academics, student life, etc., for each selected school.
New Science Center 210
New Science Center 214
New Science Center 204
T. Nicholas Jones
Ardolf Science Center 245
Ardolf Science Center 241