Political Science Department
Think Globally, Act Globally
Politics matter on a local, national and international level. Our students know that, and they know they can make a difference through politics.
Some of our students make this difference by working in public policy, some pursue law degrees, and others immerse themselves in international relations.
How does politics affect your life? How can you impact others? Listen to Dr. Kay Wolsborn's answer. She is Professor Emerita at CSB/SJU and taught in the Political Science Department from 1984 to 2013.
Overview of Program
- Our program begins with important groundwork in U.S. politics, international relations, political theory, and political life
- It continues with higher level courses in political institutions, public policy, law and courts, and comparative politics
- It is completed during the senior research seminar, a project that will incorporate all the student has learned over the course of study
CSB/SJU Political Science Department vs. Other MIAC Schools
- CSB/SJU ranks second to Carleton College out of 12 total MIAC schools in the number of full-time political science faculty.
- CSB/SJU currently has ten full-time political science faculty members.
CSB/SJU – 10 full-time faculty members
St. Thomas – 5 full-time faculty members
Hamline University – 4 full-time faculty members
Concordia College – 5 full-time faculty members
Gustavus – 7 full-time faculty members
- Satisfy your IC requirement! Prepare for the GLOBAL Century!
The Common Curriculum requires completion of a course with an Intercultural Course designation. POLS 121-Intro to International Relations will satisfy that requirement. Sections of this course are offered both fall and spring semesters.
- Recent CSB/SJU political science graduates have attended Harvard Law School, Stanford Law School, Duke Law School, University of California-Berkeley, New York University Law School, University of Michigan Law School, University of Minnesota Law School, University of Notre Dame Law School, Georgetown University Law Center, as well as many others.
- Our Mock Trial team is very active and has landed in the top 20 in the National Championship Tournament several times in recent years.
- The Washington D.C. Summer Study program takes students to Washington, D.C. for an eight-week, eight-credit internship working in various governmental organizations (including Congress)
- The CSB/SJU Debate team, under the guidance of Dr. Christi Siver in the Political Science Department, just completed its fourth year. CSB was host to the 29th Annual Minnesota State Intercollegiate Speech and Debate Championship Tournament in February, 2013.