Washington DC Summer Program - 2011
Twelve students from the College of Saint Benedict, St. Joseph, and Saint John's University, Collegeville, participated in summer internship experiences through the Washington Summer Study Program from the end of May to the beginning of August 2011.
The program, operated by the Political Science Department at CSB and SJU in conjunction with The Eugene J. McCarthy Center for Public Policy and Civic Engagement, is designed to provide students with an opportunity to live and work in the Washington, D.C., area while earning academic credit. Each student serves in a congressional office, on a committee staff, in a government agency, in a nonprofit organization or with a public affairs group, learning and working in a community. They apply for their internships based on their interests.
In addition to the work experience, summer 2011 program co-directors Matt Lindstrom, professor of political science at CSB and SJU, and Claire Haeg, associate professor of political science at CSB and SJU, conducted seminars and arranged supplemental meetings with alumnae/i and other professionals to enhance the learning experience.
Students who served internships during summer 2011 from the College of Saint Benedict include:
- Mary Baumgard, a political science major from Avon, Minnesota, interned with the National Women's Political Caucus.
- Paidamoyo Chikate, a Gender Studies and English major from Bulawayo, Zimbabwe, interned with the Center for Women's Policy Studies.
- Madeline Page, an environmental studies and political science major from Tucson, Arizona, interned with Environment America.
- Julia Renner, a political science major from Shoreview, Minnesota, internedwith Capital Partners for Education.
Students who served internships during summer 2011 from Saint John's University include:
- John Berquist, a political science major from Coon Rapids, Minnesota, interned with the Red Cross.
- Clement Dai, an economics major from Shanghai, China, interned with the American Council on Renewable Energy.
- Evan Howard, a political science and social science major from Rochester, Minnesota, interned with Senator Al Franken (D-Minnesota).
- Sean Lynch, a political science major from St. Cloud, Minnesota, interned with the AHRI trade group.
- Devin Massopust, a political science major from Rapid City, South Dakota, interned with Senator Tim Johnson (D-South Dakota).
- Eric Schilling, a political science major from St. Louis Park, Minnesota, interned with Senator Amy Klobuchar, (D-Minnesota).
- Ryan Wold, a philosophy and political science major from Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, interned with the Public Affairs Council.
- Daniel Wolgamott, a political science major from Elkhorn, Nebraska, interned with Representative Tim Walz (D-Minnesota 1st District)