Exploring and Learning about Gender Roles in Scandinavia
May 26 - June 5, 2014
- Visit Sweden, Norway, and Denmark
- View the refreshing natural landscape
- Interact with local citizens working for non-profit organizations and activists
- Sightsee and tour famous destinations in the region
This short term program promises a great way to begin summer with a study tour to learn gender roles in the Scandinavian countries of Sweden, Norway and Denmark. The refreshing Scandinavian natural landscapes combined with egalitarian perspectives on human development make this an ideal destination to learn about cultures which have supported and enacted some of the most powerful legislations to transform gender roles and foster a more equal society. Spending the first 4 days of the trip centered around Stockholm, Sweden, we leave for Oslo, Norway for spending the next 4 days and conclude our trip with 3 days in Copenhagen, Denmark. Most of the time in the countries will be spent in interactions with the local citizens- ranging from organizations (non profit organizations) and activists who work on gender equality, to scholars and researchers who research gender issues and students who study gender. City tours, sightseeing activities to the most famous destinations in these regions is also included in the trip.
This course will begin in Spring 2014. Participants will be required to attend several pre-orientation sessions in order to read and participate in discussions which will help them understand the social and political culture of the countries we will visit. The required readings and reflections will prepare us for the trip and help us to understand the cultural basis of gender roles in the different countries. Most teaching will therefore happen in Spring 2014 at CSB/SJU. Interviews and interactions in the countries we visit will help fortify and evaluate what we study in Spring and form the basis of more reflection assignments in Summer. Students will also be expected to write a reflection paper based on comparing gender roles in Scandinavia and the United States, towards the completion of course requirements.
Students will enroll in a 2 credit gender course 2 (GEND 180) which will also fulfill the Intercultural Competence (IC) and Gender (GE) requirements of the Common Curriculum (GE is pending approval).
The estimated Program Fee is $3,600 plus the cost of 2 CSB/SJU credits at the reduced summer tuition rate (approximately $525 per credit).
This price includes:
- Round trip airfare from MSP
- All hotel accommodation
- Arrical transfer in Copenhagen
- A 48-hour Stockholm City Card, 48-hour Copenhagen City Card, 72 hour Oslo City Card good for local transportation to our destinations of choice, entrance to museums and exhibits
- Motor transport for travel in Stockholm and Copenhagen
- Round trip tickets from Stockholm to other Swedish universities
- Train and Ferry tickets from Stockholm to Oslo, Oslo to Copenhagen
- Departure transfer in Copenhagen
The Program Fee does not include:
- 2 meals additional meals per day
- Spending Money
- Cost of 2 CSB/SJU credits (approximately $525 per credit)
We will be staying in comfortable hotels in the various cities we visit. Breakfast is included at each hotel that we stay at.
Sucharita Mukherjee will be directing this program to Scandinavia. Sucharita is an Economics Professor who has led the semester long study-abroad program to India. This will be her first time taking a group to Scandinavia. Please email her with any questions or concerns.